Modern Processors, What to DO?!?

Hello All!

I am thinking of making my way into the home theater realm again after 10+ years with a two channel rig.  As it stands, I still have a fantastic 2.2 Classe/JMLabs/AudioPhysic setup that I would like to preserve the sound of as much as possible, but I want to be able to expand into home theater as well.

I am thinking about something that is up to snuff with the current 4k landscape and possibly ATMOS or other processing capabilities including height channels.  Now this is not a MUST, but I'm thinking, since it is available, I might do something in this realm so as to at least preserve the video capabilities of my current setup (future proof 4k Samsung with umbilical and external hookups).

Options that have come up in my research thus far are the Marantz 8802a, Anthem 60 and if I really wanted to stretch the budget I could go for Classe Sigma SSP or Krell Foundation.  

I'm just not sure where to go...looking at all of the change that has happened makes me want to just quit and stick with what I know, but what fun would that be!

Thank you for your input!

Ben
bearotti
What about NAD? They have a fairly decent history lately of actually providing upgraded modules for their processors.

That or a used Krell, and forget an upgrade path.

Best,

E

In watching the last 20 years of home theater evolution, I don’t know that I would label anything as "future proof". NAD is a good choice, as Erik said. It looks like they have a generic architecture across all their products. They have released an upgraded 4K card as well as Atmos/Dirac card for their M17 processor. You’re locked into the NAD sound, which is excellent if that is what your looking for.

If you want everything right now, pretty much the choices are Marantz, Anthem and NAD (each with their own sonic signatures). If you want upper end audiophile level stuff, you will have to give up something. Classe Sigma only has 7 outputs and only 2 XLR. Krell Foundation is excellent and they already support 4K, but I suspect Atmos/DTS:X are going to be a long way away (if at all).

in my system i had a new Marantz. It lasted about 2 weeks and was replaced with a Cary processor. 

vvvv musical 

worth a try if u can get one