connect 2 different wire gauge to pos and neg speaker terminal

what happens if say Kimber kable 12 tc to pos and lowes 10 gauge grounding wire to neg side or 12 tc biwire  to pos and lamp cord to neg
chalmersiv
Al - thanks for the informative response

However, I need your help again...

Let’s take the IC connecting two components as an example...
- the signal conductor has an AC signal on it
- the neutral conductor is connected to the neutral sides of each component

On well designed components the neutral side of the circuit should always be at zero vaults - especially if grounded

If both components are well designed, then the neutral sides of the their respective circuits would be at zero volts,

Therefore, the neutral conductor of the IC should also be at zero volts - yes?

What exactly am I missing here ?

Sorry for being a pain and thanks in advance
Geoffkait,  electric charge still travels back and forth inside of the wire between terminals hence skin effect still applies.  It starts for the copper at 20kHz at about gauge 18.  Al was only explaining difference between electric charge travelling back and forth (electric current) and energy delivery from source to load in form of electromagnetic wave outside of the cable.  Load has voltage drop between terminals hence we have electric field while current in the wire produces magnetic filed.  Interaction of these fields causes power draw by the load.  Source also has electric and electromagnetic fields that cause power output.  As Al stated this energy is delivered in one direction only in form of electromagnetic wave outside of the cable - from source to load.  Direction is determined by Poynting Vector.  Electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and determine direction of Poynting vector (direction of energy transfer).  It is also true for DC.
Jim (Jea48), Jc4659, and Kijanki, thanks very much for your kind words.

Jim (Jea48), I’m not sure if your most recent post is suggesting that I try to explain why Geoff’s comment is incorrect, or that I refrain from doing so to avoid having this heretofore constructive thread go downhill the way the recent thread on wire directionality has. But I’ll assume the former, perhaps incorrectly.

Geoffkait 8-24-2017
If the audio signal travels through the *dielectric* and not (rpt not) through the metal conductor I suppose we can throw out the whole skin effect idea, which says most audio frequencies travel *inside* the metal conductor at some depth, with only very high frequencies, perhaps above "audio frequencies," traveling near the surface, I.e., skin. How can audio frequencies travel inside the conductor when the audio signal - the electromagnetic wave - travels outside the conductor?

Geoff, to be precise, skin effect means that as frequency progressively increases above a certain frequency (which depends on the diameter of the conductor), "current density" (with "current" defined as in one of my earlier posts) decreases to a greater degree at progressively greater depths. That causes a progressive increase in the resistance of the conductor at progressively higher frequencies.

"Audio frequencies travel inside the conductor," to use your words, in the sense that the movement of electrons, at the very slow drift velocity I referred to, is a very small back and forth oscillatory motion occurring at the same frequency or frequencies for which energy is being conveyed in the electromagnetic wave. As the +/- polarity of the applied voltage changes, at a given frequency, the direction of that slow movement of electrons changes correspondingly. (And actually, to be precise, I should say "net movement of electrons," because random movement of some electrons is always occurring to some degree).

In the recent wire directionality thread which you participated in extensively, Jim (Jea48) quoted a statement by Ralph Morrison, a world renowned authority on such matters, and the author of several textbooks, which contradicts your assertion that the electromagnetic wave travels within metallic conductors. That assertion was also contradicted in another thread here by a noted designer of highly respected world class audio electronics, as well as by me and several other technically knowledgeable posters. During the course of my lengthy career and schooling in electrical engineering I have never seen such an assertion ever made by anyone other than yourself. If you can cite a seemingly credible reference supporting your contention I will attempt to explain why it is either incorrect or is being misinterpreted.

Regards,
-- Al

Al - I just found this book and it is making things a lot clearer for me

Audio Engineering Explained

https://books.google.ca/books?id=aLDpAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT224&lpg=PT224&dq=is+the+neutral+condu...
Let me know what you think please

Cheers - Steve
Kijanki, thanks for your characteristically excellent technical input.

Williewonka 8-24-2017
Let’s take the IC connecting two components as an example...
- the signal conductor has an AC signal on it
- the neutral conductor is connected to the neutral sides of each component

On well designed components the neutral side of the circuit should always be at zero vaults - especially if grounded

If both components are well designed, then the neutral sides of the their respective circuits would be at zero volts,

Therefore, the neutral conductor of the IC should also be at zero volts - yes?

Hi Steve,

First, be sure to keep in mind, as you no doubt realize, that a voltage must always be defined with respect to some reference. Given that, in the example you cite above the neutral conductor would indeed be at or very close to zero volts, **relative to the circuit grounds/signal grounds of the two components.** And probably in most (but not all) designs relative to AC safety ground and earth ground as well. But those facts do not have any inconsistency with what I said in my earlier posts.

Consider the simple example of a 120 volt light bulb. When it is turned on via the switch on the wall, if you were to individually measure the current in the "hot wire" and the "neutral wire" that are connected to it you would measure exactly the same amount of current in both. Even though the neutral wire is at or very close to zero volts relative to earth ground and to AC safety ground.

I’ll take a look at the book you referenced later today or tonight.

Best regards,
-- Al