Replace PS Audio DLIII + Pass Preamp With Directstream Jr?

In the quest for better sound I've been thinking about doing the following; replace my PS Audio DLIII DAC and Pass Labs XP10 preamp with just a PS Audio Directstream Jr DAC (which would directly drive my amp, a Pass XA30.5.) Am I likely to get better sound? It's all about the sound ...

Currently the DLIII DAC is being fed from the digital output of a Logitech Squeezebox Touch which accesses via ethernet my Red book (44.1k) library on a dedicated NAS running Logitech Media Server. It seems the Directstream Jr DAC could additionally replace the Logitech Squeezebox Touch.
partialresponse
BETTER? is very subjective term at this point. Different- Is a better word to describe the change. Only you will know if you like what this does. I happen to prefer a active tube line stage pre amp in my system. You may love having none.

Matt M
Matt, I suppose it comes down to a comparison between the somewhat old DLIII and the DAC in the DS Jr., and assuming that the digital domain volume control on the latter is transparent (truly no loss of resolution over its operating range.) I'd also lose a pair of interconnects - between DAC and preamp - which sounds good in principle.

I agree with matt that the sound will be different. In fact, it will be completely different.

Your current rig is the DLIII Dac. This is an aging DAC, but it is very well designed with a very good power supply. It is a conventional DAC chip with a fully discrete Class A I/V circuit that uses FET inputs and bipolar outputs. This going into your XP10 preamp, which is also fully Class A (and I also think this uses FET circuits). Finally, you’re going into the XA30.5, which is 100% Class A at 30 watts.

Three stages of Class A circuits in the analog path will create a very warm and full sound. It will be very listenable with absolutely no listening fatigue. However, with that many Class A stages, you’ll start to lose resolution, attack and there will be a slight roll-off of high frequencies.

The DirectStream Jr is a completely different beast. It is not a conventional DAC. It uses FPGA to analyze the incoming digital data and formulate how the output is generated from multiple voltage rails. The final voltage output is through a high-speed Class A video amplifier (video amps are extremely fast slew rate, so it is not like a normal warming Class A circuit). The idea behind the DirectStream is to make the signal as 100% accurate as possible. The end result will be significantly more resolution, attack, detail. It can reveal more information in the sound. However, when poorly matched with other equipment, it can be too solid state.

Since your amp is a full excellent 100% Class A amp, the DirectStream Jr. might be a good solution if you are looking for more resolution and accuracy.  There will be no coloration added to the sound signature (unlike your DLIII/XP10 combo).

Your existing DLIII and XP10 are FET based and will add a richness and texture to the sound. This can be extremely pleasant, but it is not necessarily accurate to your source. This combination will also be more warm/thick sounding.

Neither is really a bad choice, it all depends on the direction you want to go in.

The DSJ will also allow you to replace your Squeezebox Touch with the Bridge II and run ethernet straight into the back of the DAC.  In my PWDII DAC, going from the SBT to the Bridge II was a stunning improvement.