Sonic qualities of SET output tubes?

Can you readily identify a 300B, 2A3, 805, 211, etc., amp’s sound with your eyes closed most of the time?

If so, I’sure would like to hear from you.

Amplifier design and the technology utilized within its confines decides the ‘voice’ or influence it will yield as much or more so than merely the output tubes the designer has chosen to use.

I get that part emphatically. One must hear the amp regardless the type of output tube technology on hand.

And yes, some Pentodes and Tetrodes are used as Triodes but are not indeed triodes by their specific architecture. That’s OK, just focus on their use as Triodes herein, please.

There are however certain tube types, irrespective of vintage which have basic undeniable sonic colors or characteristics, apart from their electrical aspects which keep attracting people to amps which use this or that tube in its output stage.

Some love 211s. some adore 300Bs. Some love EL34s configured to run as Triodes. I have an affinity for the latter. So far anyway. This topic could change my mind.

Has your own experience informed you what this or that output tube’s natural flavor regularly announces itself to be so you can have a reasonable expectation of its general presentation?

What sonic attribute continually attracts you to a particular SET tube design, 300B or some others?

Or, conversely, what is it about the sound that would bring you to covet a 211 amp over a 2A3, for example.

Why as another example, would you pick a 2A3 amp over one using 805s or 300B, 211, etc. or vice versa?

Removing ‘vintages’ and electronic or electrical qualities from the argument, what sonic attributes for the more popular S.E.T. amp output tubes have you determined seem to persist in their particular DNA?

I’m asking for input from those SET tube devotees to lend their experiences and knowledge on the subject of what tube sounds like what irrespective of the SET application, generally speaking.

My goal is to try getting a better feel for which SET Tube amp design, if any, I’d want to pursue and possibly invest heavily into going forward as the soul of a new system.

Tremendous thanks to all!

blindjim
kdude66 > Bob Crites Cornscala.These are available as a kit or fully built for about 2k

blindjim > many thanks. I think I read about these particular speakers. Iowa? The LP at A 15ft LP might be an issue going forward, right now it certainly is a problem.

Atmosphere > Amps and loudspeakers don't have taste in musical genres! I wouldn't worry about that

Blindjim > Thanks Ralph. I could not figure another way to say it.

Naturally, appliances do not have ‘prefferences’ towards music. My inference was a bit deeper in context and I obviously did not convey things with greater clarity. My bad.

I’ve noticed some systems do much better jobs at reproducing music than do others. Of course. Complicated multi instrument cuts as well are done better by some amps than by other amps. Same for loudspeakers. Things like resolution, individual instrument distinction. Sure, my iphone can playback Illinois Jacquette’s album Jacquette’s Got it that he did with 17 other Harvard musical students back in the 1980s, but it is mostly just noise and only familiarity with the album enables me to half way enjoy it via that means.

As I’ve said previously I need to get out and hear SET + High Eff or Horns handling the kinds of music I prefer to really and or fully understand member’s points being . submitted.

Larryi > I have always felt that really good amps, regardless of type, sound great at low volume

Blindjim > I tend to agree. My normal levels are where you would need to turn it down some to comfortably talk to your guest sitting in the same room. Not that the sound is loud or at higher levels, but where casual conversation won’t be attempted to often.

I measured this once with an all tube power train and Silverline Sonata IIIs @ 93db. I believe the meter was set to catch average peaks as it wasn’t jumpin’ all over the place constantly.

From the LP, At 90 -92db as I recollect it was pretty loud though not at all painful. It was as well, an abnormal listening level for myself.

At 93 – 95db it was not a level I’d often run for more than a song or two. Maybe.

All of this in a room 14 x 20 x 9.5ft. closed off by doors to other rooms or halls.

I could be off though that feels accurate.

wolf_garcia > HO (Dennis Had "Inspire" Fire Bottle SEP HO, or High Output) has seen various tubes in the recent few months as it uses only 4 of them (

blindjim > Wolf, I’ve looked online for Dennis, and or these amps, even a HP amp, couldn’t come up with anything worthwhile.

It would be great as was just said to get into this past time on the cheaper front, to get some practical working knowledge. That is IMHO, the huge integral missing link here For me.

Hearing of some combinations that have worked for others would be nice beyond those previously mentioned using Coincident speakers by Charles and or Grandering. I’ve noted and set those aside already.

blindjim,

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

Here is a current link to the Cornscala speaker,we built the type c version with the selenium driver and horn.

Bob has several versions of the Cornscala and it gets a little confusing but I know you could buy them as a kit or fully built.

I'm not sure what the cost would actually be as a fully built version,I will have to look at the website and figure this up and let you know.

Kenny.
Amps probably not, speakers probably yes. Have taste in musical genres. Unless speakers are stupid, of course.
Kenny. > buy them as a kit or fully built.

Blindjim > I’ll look into that or them. Thank you.

Which amps did you or another use with these loudspeakers?

I’m wondering too, what value they might have on the ‘used’ market? Can’t recall ever seeing them there.

Audio Art used to be one company that made several sorts of Triode amps. Don’t see them around much any more.

Having ideas on what amps worked well with what horns or High Eff speakers again, would be great, if anyone wanted to input their exp on that note here.

Blindjim…there’s an interesting Youtube video of Had talking about his amps with a little tour of his shop, and a several hundred page discussion of his "post Cary Audio" builds on Audioaficianado.org. He sells his stuff exclusively on Ebay (or you can order things directly from him by contacting him through his Ebay address, although he’s pretty busy so good luck with that..) although he does build headphone amps sold through Moon Audio (recently positively reviewed by Absolute Sound). You also can look up his sales history on Ebay to see what he’s sold recently. Otherwise he’s a small potato in the current audio geek component manufacturing  scene (I assume, having no idea how many amps for example Atmosphere sells) , but I personally think his amps are an utter bargain in the world of hand made sonic excellence…Shindo Schmindo!