Question about caps in vintage power monoblocks

Folks,

If a pair of vintage power monoblocks (produced in mid 80s) was kept in storage for the last 15 years or so with less than 100 hours of use - would the capacitors continue to deteriorate while in storage at about the same rate as if one was continuing to use them or would the damage/drying of the caps slowed down/stopped once they were put in storage?

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xchattaudio
Definitely deteriorate and in general if I was taking amps out of 15 years in storage, I would have a tech check them over. At the very least use a variac to get them slowly up to voltage don't just plug them in and flip the switch.

Make and model make a difference too, and what part of the 1980s?  Remember, there were recessions then, two in fact, and many manufacturers cut corners to stay in business.  The brand of the cap is important....quality is quality, the bottom line.

You do not state if this is tube or solid state, that makes a difference.  Yes, bring it up slowly to 1/3, then 2/3, then full is a proper way, but not necessarily if it is transistor.

My suggestion is replace the fuse with 1/2 amp rating, speakers attached, no input.  If transistor bring up over 15 to 20 minutes to power, if the fuse pops, then the caps may have shorted.  If tube, bring up over a longer period, may be 3 to 4 hours.

hi Chattaudio,

The electrolytics are what will eventually dry up. Not being used will help them last longer, but if you have a 30 yo piece of gear, it is time to seriously think about re-capping them no matter what.

Also, the modern electrolytic produced since the 80s are just a lot better, smaller, cheaper. I've heard from several that they feel their gear sounds much better after re-capping.

Best,

E