Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
@erik_squires
That’s not what’s being done here. DSP is used entirely for electrical phase and amplitude. The actual speaker/room response is not considered. Quite a heavy handed approach to making an amp perform like an ideal voltage source.
That may be so as to avoid using global loop feedback, which is known to exacerbate higher ordered harmonics. Speculation on my part...
Could be. But it could also be in addition to.

Looking at the specs for the B&O amps for instance, they could benefit from this idea.

Also, as I have noted, you CAN do this yourself using miniDSP, if you were so inclined. I wish I had the time/space/energy, it would be a fun project.

Best,

E
Anyone running the PS Audio DirectStream DAC directly into their Class D amp? If so, are you using the filter on the DAC? Any idle noise when the display is lit on the DAC?
This is a brief tangent from the current topic but I wanted to give an update to those that helped me in selecting a class D amp. I was fortunate enough to pick up a Red Dragon S500 power amplifier from a fellow Audiogoner and I could not be happier!  The amplifier is truly all that it has been touted to be. Effortless delivery of power, clean, smooth, extremely detailed with excellent separation but without harshness. I could go on and on, but the end message is: class D is the real deal. Even to my untrained ears there is a noticeable difference in the "feel" of the music (please excuse the lack of the usual audiophile adjectives). I think one of the most amazing things is how good it sounds even though the rest of my system (other than my ls50s) can be considered low-budget components!  Thanks again to all of you that gave input to guide me along this class D odyssey!