Has Rel fallen out of favor with audiophiles?

I own a Rel Storm 3. which I've had for 10 yrs or so. My new hardwood floor has really opened things up, especially in the bass area. much more pronounced bass and excellent sound stage.  I was planning on upgrading my sub after completing the floor. My Rel Storm 3 is pushing at its max to keep up in a 5k+ cu ft  room. Ten yrs ago the Storm 3 was one of the best on the market. It integrates very wall into the 2 channel system. Now, there is SVS, Rhythmic, PSA  etc which have much better specs than the Rels for less $$$. But the question for me is whether they actually integrate with the main speakers as well as the Rel? I use mine  for music 95% of the time. Music doesn't need to plumb the 16hz range as much as HT does. And most of the reviews seem to come from HT sources, IE AVS forum and the various HT magazines. From what I can tell, then Rhythmic seems to cater to the audiophile more than HT. But how about a sealed  SVS ?. And will they both integrate as well as the Rel with the high level speakon input? 

So, for audipophiles, do you sacrifice the ultra low hz for the good integration of the Rel? Or do you go with then SVS, Rhythmic, etc with their lower octave output? IOW, do the integrate as well?
Thanks for your help

arte
128x128artemus_5
shadorne,

I think Arte’s recent post quoting the REL setup guide exactly reflects my personal experience, ie the REL is a "sub-bass system designed to augment the performance of full-range speaker systems ...".

In my room, my speakers do not need traditional bass enhancement, but the sound is improved by the sub-20hz sound-pressure loading of my room provided by the REL(s). The REL(s) are more felt than heard, yet imaging, soundstaging, and midrange clarity are all improved by the effect of this ultra-low frequency room loading. Two RELs simply provide a more uniform loading in my room, as I think it would be be with JL, etc. also. 

The REL(s) can also be used in out-of-phase mode to help cancel room-induced bass nodes beyond what is modulated by my sealed corner bass traps, a feature I find useful as my source changes. Each source can be (and should be IMO) optimized by different settings, ie REL(s) off with my TT (subsonic interaction), on but fed via XLR line-level inputs from my HT processor, and on with digital sources fed via the hi-level input from my amplifier(s) with judicious setting of the crossover and gain to optimize integration without adding bass bloat, often by also switching between in-phase and out-of-phase settings depending on the digital source.

I like JL and would unconditionally recommend them to those with the need for true bass enhancement to main speakers with limited low-frequency reproduction or don’t have the freedom to handle room nodes with acoustical treatment, specific placement, etc. The advent/implementation of digital room EQ included in the better JLs is invaluable in those situations and the JLs are great subs regardless IMO.

The RELs still, as they always have, provide a unique solution for those with true full-range speakers, an acoustically treated room, and with the freedom to cater to their placement and setup requirements.

Dave

I have used REL subs for the last 20 years and love em to death. I started out with the Storm series 1, 2 and 3 then jumped to a Stadium ll and couldn't be happier. I use the high level inputs and it is run along side a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven original speakers. I never have to turn up the sub volume past nine o'clock and rarely have to adjust the crossover, basically keeping it at the lowest crossover setting. I have listened to a few newer REL subs (after John Hunter took over) and wasn't impressed, but that's after spending much time with my Stadium ll and a friends Stentor ll run with a pair of Sonus Faber Extremas... that was a kick ass combo. Anyways, I think the point, as stated elsewhere in this thread, is that the top end original REL subs (Stadium, Stentor and Studio) are hard to beat for smooth effortless musical bass. You can still find super clean examples of these subs on the used market for very reasonable prices. Peace.
Thanks to all who have responded. From the responses I would conclude that Rel is still a player in the audiophile subwoofer market. However, like all things audio, they have their adherents and their detractors. And they have a lot of competition now, unlike 10-15 yrs ago.
It almost seems foolish NOT to try SVS because of their satisfaction guarantee. They pay for return shipping also. Customer reviews seem to point out the musical advantage of Rythmik. Both these companies offer return policies while Rel & Sumiko do not (unless you buy from a store which has a return policy

At this point I may be leaning towards a DIY Rythmik 15" sealed box. I have limited space. The sealed box fits where I need it to fit. I can build 2 and have 2 very good subs for the price of one factory assembled. I am a woodworker with all the necessary  tools. So that hurdle is conquered. Now for the time & $$$. Aren't they always the biggest hurdles?
Wood tools? Not only do I own digitally controlled servo subwoofers I own a SawStop. You wanna talk controversy? 

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

Wear a mask and have fun with it.