Tekton Double Impact & Comb Filtering

Like many of you, I have been pondering purchasing these speakers but am very curious about the unusual tweeter array. I asked the smartest speaker person that I know (he is a student of Sean Olive) about the design and below is what he had to say.   

"In theory it could work, but the driver spacing means that the crossover point would need to be very low.
He is using the SB acoustics tweeter which is 72mm in diameter, center to center on the outside opposing drivers is around 5.7 inches, which is about 2400Hz. This means that combing would stop between 1/4 to 1/2 of the wavelength (between 1200-600Hz) is where the outside tweeters should start playing nice with each other.
Since he is not using low enough crossover points he has created a comb filtering monster. Now while it's not the great point source that was promised, it's no worse than most line arrays and the combing will average itself out given enough listening distance.

The MTM spacing on the other hand is ridiculous. Hopefully he is cutting the top end off on one of those midrange drivers to avoid combing."

seanheis1
Well the alternative is to spend $7000 on a used set of speakers you then decide you want to sell and Incur all those selling costs . Or spend $10,000 on a new set that does not sound as good and then take a big loss? I guess it all depends on your perspective.
Interesting how we all view a situation differently. To me being able to audition a speaker in my home with my electronics without having to pay the dealer 40% markup and sales tax is a win. In my opinion the risk is less than guessing if I may like a speaker in my listening space after hearing it somewhere else with foreign electronics, source, and music. If you don't end up loving that choice you are quickly out 50% of your purchase price and then have to take the cost and effort to sell and ship them (and hope Fedex/UPS doesn't damage them). The Tekton/Spatial/Vinnie Rossie model makes the most sense to me...Everyone is different.
I've never paid a 40% markup,if you do find another dealer.I've never met an online only dealer that will come to my home and help with setup.I've never met an online dealer that will allow me to bring my amp or what ever gear in and hook it up.I've never met an online only dealer help me with issues if something goes a miss...on and on.I like to support a local stereo shop if they have great customer service .True,every one is different.....Now, if I buy a pair of speakers for 7k on the used market most likely Im getting speakers that are over 20 grand new . I know what these speakers sound like as I've done my research and listening. When selling i'm recouping my money,that's why we buy used.Ive never lost money buying used as a matter of fact Ive always made money after listening to them for a couple years.I hate to say it but for me your arguments don't hold water.....but thats just me.Having said that if Tekton had dealer support ,I could actually listen to them and liked what I heard,sure id be a player.
Grannyring and schw06,
I agree with your comments/ take on this as well. If I were really interested in a speaker I’d welcome the opportunity to hear it in my system. What better way to assess them could there possibly be? What is a superior scenario to a home audition?

Yes you will incur some expense with shipping if you decide to return them, this is acceptable to me given other alternatives. Listening at a ďealer showroom is helpful but this isn’t "your" system. Is the expectation there should be zero out of pocket cost and the manufacturer just absorbs everything? That makes little sense to me.

Many speaker manufacturers don’t publish crossover point figures. If it’s that important for you to know call or email the builder. Even if this information is readily available you would still not know what the speaker sounds like. Home audition when possible is the best method for judging an audio product. Tekton willingly offers this vital option.
Charles
Taking a chance on my DI's worked out really good in my favor,I threw away boxes and packing at the end of the first week.

I realize 3k is 3k but what about the other chance I took with 8k in buying the Linear tube audio gear that I pair with my DI's.

What about the 9k I have invested in 3 Dac's that I own taking the chance again.

I have no dealers in my state other than HT gear and I have no interest in most of those products.

This is why I greatly appreciate these threads and other sites as a starting point to gain valuable info from actual users,It's priceless IMO.

I greatly respect these threads and I always try my best to give solid advice which I can backup from actually listening and or owning a product and I can generally backup what I hear with actual in room measurements and experience.I always try to do best in real information and not speculation.

I know the DI speaker quite well,
I have upgraded every part in the crossovers except the coil on the woofers.

I know every crossover point from testing and confirming the points with the crossover design.

I have upgraded all 4 10 inch woofers to a better match for me.

I will only publish on any thread,a certain amount of info related to any products specs or measurements and this is out of Respect for the designers and builders of the products.

Kenny.