Why do McIntosh come with cheap plastic remotes?

Any comments as to why Macs come with el-chepo remotes?
Somehow this just doesn't fit with the notion of elegant and robust gear.
sonicbeauty

I really don't agree with the argument that the remote must be expensive or heavy, etc.  As long as it works and doesn't fall apart is all I care about for the remote.

I feel that the actual audio equipment such as the amp, CD Player/Transport, Pre-Amp, Tuner, etc. are what the manufacturer should really concentrate on .

If you want a unnecessary and expensive remote, then write the manufacturer and maybe they will make one for the one's that want that and are willing to pay extra for such a device.

For me, I believe it is a waste and I for one, don't want or need it.

Again, as long as it works, is reliable, doesn't fall apart.

to each their own.  But, the extra costs for such an expensive device (see Boulder) is a waste to me. this is status only and has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.

My opinion only.

enjoy

Actually on a pure operational level, it also has to do with ergonomics, comfort in hands, not searching long for that mute button when needed, being able to not overshoot or undershoot the remotes volume level etc...a well designed remote does not do anything for sound and I agree.

But a well-designed remote does contribute to enjoyment and the overall enjoyment of using your sound system.

And for me this hobby is all about enjoyment.

And the remote is of course a natural extension of the gear’s quality, and brand-manufacturer’s value. It’s ok if this has no value for some, but still, you won’t find a TAG watch with a cheap $20 extensible wrist bracelet, let alone a Rolex with the same. And wrist bands don’t contribute to the watch’s performance, and some won’t care if the bracelet is stainless steel, or solid links or not. But you won’t find them cheaping out to save a few bucks like some audio manufacturer’s insist on doing on even quite expensive gear.

As someone said on this thread, only in audio....
Quality of the McIntosh remote is inconsistent with the gear it controls.  I've owned dozens of other brands and never experienced this. Seriously, they should take a closer look at this.  
I own a couple Tag watches, and they are jewelry as much as they are a functional time piece.  As long as the remote functions and doesn’t break, I’m happy with it.