Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
Hi Dan,

I don't know enough about your amps to help you I am afraid. The DIYAudio web site is a great resource for kits and components.

The site is down for upgrading, but should be back up by Monday, July 10, 2017.  I would ask there.

While some digital amps have noise issues when you put modules too close together, I would not think this was an issue. I would suggest try unplugging all but 1 module, and see if that does anything to the sound quality.  If so I wonder if your issue is proximity.

Best,

E
@islandmandan 

I'll be very interested to see what any of your replies might have to say.
What sort of noise are you encountering?
Hello Ralph,

The noise is a bit difficult to describe. It's similar to a 60 cycle hum, with a sort of "buzz" in addition to the hum. Strangely, when my home theater setup is on (Comcast DVR, Primare SP 31 HT processor, Sony HDL display), when making changes on the Comcast remote, the noise abates momentarily during the sequence of time the button is being pushed. I know this sounds far-fetched, but it happens. 

Erik, Ralph, I appreciate your responses, thank you.

Regards,
Dan
...when my home theater setup is on (Comcast DVR, Primare SP 31 HT processor, Sony HDL display), when making changes on the Comcast remote, the noise abates momentarily during the sequence of time the button is being pushed.
Hi Dan,

That’s certainly an interesting finding. Perhaps the DVR is the root cause of the noise, possibly even when it is turned off and most (but presumably not all) of its circuitry is unpowered. If you already haven’t, you might try disconnecting it and pulling the plug on it. Also, does the remote communicate with it optically, or via RF? If the latter, you might try removing its batteries.

Best regards,
-- Al

Hello Al,

To shed a bit more light on the subject, and I don't know in what way it may effect your idea of the issue, but when the Class amp is out of service, and my SET 300 B amp is in use, there is no issue with noise. Even when my HT system is in use with the SET amp (I use a separate tube preamp that the front two channels are connected to, including having the processor stereo cables run to the two channel preamplifier).

So, my thinking is the noise emanates from the Class D amp, not from the cable box or processor.

Thanks again regards,
Dan