CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
"And one day (we'll all probably be dead by then) I predict an entirely new, as yet unimagined way of reproducing music will emerge, rendering our present digital universe obsolete."

If Sony's recent opening of a record production plant in Germany is any indication I'd say vinyl might render our present digital universe obsolete. 

I'm still a huge fan of CD's and CD players. I've been buying CD's for 30 years, they're cheap, a lot of them sound great and remasters continue to come out. The players also keep getting better. I like to listen to a handful of discs on a Friday night and listen to each one from beginning to end. The thought of ripping them all makes me dizzy. What I could get into is a server that allows me to rip, store and play but then what do I do when it's time for a new one. I'm sure one of you could easily answer these questions for me. 

@Bullitt5094 what DAC are you using? Your rig sounds quite standard and provides a good guidance.
Its really sad, I like to own the disc.....not have it in some cloud somewhere........
Bryston's new BCD-3 will change some people's minds.  See the reviews that are just starting to trickle out...