Best Tube Amp For Sonus Faber? Or Pass XA-100.5? $6-7,500 Budget, Purchasing Used.

As the title says, I have a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica III's that I am more than pleased with, for which I am trying to determine the best available amplifier, preferably tube. Of course, there are always budget limitations and my budget for this amp would be $6-7,500, and I would be buying used to maximize purchasing power.

Based on a lot of research, and quite a few auditions at brick and mortar stores, various home systems, Axpona, etc. I'm honestly not sure if there are any truly exceptional tube amplifiers available within that budget that meet my needs. These speakers need 100wpc tubed, or 200 wpc solid state, into 4 ohms to really open up and perform. 

If, in the end, there are no really great tubed options, I've always heard that the Pass Labs XA-100.5's were probably the optimal choice in solid state for former tube lovers. I would also appreciate any thoughts on that option from owners. 
nightfall
Nightfall,

Remember that the Olympica III is moderately efficient at 90+db.  so even if it dips low with the ohms briefly, there is more at play with how well an amp can drive speakers.  The VAC dealer on the audio shark forum commented that the 100 watt specs for the 200 iQ was very conservative, and is likely much more power that is giving out.  I've noticed that in my experience with it as well.
djfst,

My current preamplifier is the top of the line PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium, which I have loaded up with very good NOS tubes. I find it to be a giant killer under $10k (granted I stole that line from Kevin Deal who may be  a bit biased, but the reviews support it). 

My list of dream preamps would include the Joule Electra LA-300ME and LA-150-SE, the Conrad Johnson ART 2, the Zesto, and something from VAC. 

I've read great things about the Herron, but have never auditioned one or otherwise had experience with that preamp. What can you tell me about it?
You may be right about the Primaluna - I haven't used NOS tubes yet, so it may be all you need with whatever reference amp you end up with.  I've told by many that the the preamp selection will influence the sound a lot...  The Herron was recommended to me numerous times by a trusted dealer who I value his opinion.  He has never steered me wrong in the past.  Unfortunately, his store is a plane ride away and haven't been able to demo it yet.   I also tend to like to buy things made in the USA - to support local manufacturers and in case of a problem with the unit down the road, they are a simple phone call away.   That can't be underestimated, especially when you are talking about shipping a 100+ amp around the country vs across the world.  VAC, Zesto, Herron, VPI, etc.  are all companies I'd be happy to own and support.   Sonus Faber was the exception :)
nightfall said...
"My current preamplifier is the top of the line PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium, which I have loaded up with very good NOS tubes. I find it to be a giant killer under $10k"

I concur. What NOS tubes are you running?
djfst
georgehifi,

I noticed the bass improvement the most when going from the primaluna to the VAC.  that would coincide with what you were saying.  The best bass on a tube amp I've heard was with the VAC.

It could be the the VAC has a lower output impedance because of two things either it's transformer has a lower impedance winding or the it has a lot more global feedback than the PL creating a lower impedance.

Cheers George