CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
the enjoyment of lp's & cd's are you get put on the whole album to hear start to finish.
Great discussion! I'm a vinyl and CD type and very late adopter, so have elected to hold off on streaming altogether. Have just upgraded from my Sony 9000ES to the PS Audio Directstream DAC and Memory Player - both nicely discounted - and  simply cannot believe the improvement. Age 69, this does it for me.
CD vs Streaming!

Having heard SUPER H-E> 5 to 8K+ Streamers at the CES shows& at several of my friends homes. Doing just what the question is all about.
 Example: "Look of Love"  Diana Krall on TIDAL Stream vs Marantz S-10
and her SACD.  Play back thru Double QUADS stacked (2) per side.
  Tidal close.The Piano keys lack some attack speed.
                     Voice a little Warmth
                     Back-up Bass fiddle.Quads revealed stronger string vibrations

Like in HORSE SHOES Close doesn't count. But's that's a different game

OR IS IT????
TUBES444
@williewonka ’s observation-- that CD is following the path of vinyl- rings true in some ways, but it hasn’t had its resurgence yet. I’ve been a ’vinyl only’ guy forever, and am only now starting to look at CD as a serious medium. Why? Access to more music. Aside from newer material that is natively digital, some material was never released on vinyl or the original LPs are now 3 or 4 figures. The DAC market is flourishing but the CD transport market is not, except for a small handful of high end players and a few inexpensive ones. (I’m not including integrated players like the Oppo that some folks use as a transport).
The computer-based audio systems are a little daunting to me-- I am on a steep learning curve right now and will likely start with a Redbook transport and DAC. Partly because I get a little fidgety with computer issues generally, and want to keep it as simple as possible.
FWiW, and not to be provocative, the turntable/phono stage market is very robust right now at the higher end of the spectrum- it isn’t just millennials feeding that market, given the prices, but I believe this is unsustainable. It is a golden age for vinyl gear but I’m not sure that the market for high end CD playback will enjoy the same renaissance. There will always be a fringe/outlier market for "obsolete" technologies in audio, but it is a tiny portion of the market compared to the larger "mass market."
PS: I can’t comment on the sonic merits of CD v. Streaming. Convenience, not sonics, tends to be the market driver for mainstream equipment, though I’ve been told that hi-rez downloads can be amazing. I guess I’ll have to discover that for myself.

@whart - take a look at the Blusound Node 2.

It’s easy to setup, great support, great interface and better sound quality than my computrt/DAC setup AND no computer in the mix.

Treat it to good cables an it will reward with excellent sound.

I will not be replacing mine any time soon

Steve