CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0

If, as many are want to say, hi-fi is in service to the music (rather than and end in itself), then it’s simple. Do you have CD’s? If so, you need something to play them on. If you don’t have CD’s, now is a good time to start acquiring some---they’re cheap, and getting cheaper. It’s just like with LP’s, when they were going out of style. Do they sound good? Like everything else, some do, some don't. So what. Do you listen only to great sounding recordings? If so, you are missing out on a lot of great music.

Bdp24,

Very well said and valid points,
I say pick your poison and go with it and enjoy the music you like.

Best,

Kenny.
I would say either format is good. I use both. I don't think CD players are dead. There is 30+ years of silver discs out there. Good enough reason in itself to have a CD player in your system.....
I have a fair number of HDCD discs and there are few HDCD DACs, so I'd like to be able to listen to them once in a while with the HDCD in place.

But I listen to computer audio several hours a day (98.63% ripped CDs; a few downloads) and only spin a disc every few months.
I continue to use my (15+ year old) Electrocompaniet EMC-1UP, and am perfectly content. The quality of the sound is superb, and I do not mind the minor inconvenience of changing discs.

Cheers,

Tony C.