Tape-in and Tape-out ports

Why do so many preamp manufacturers still provide Tape-in and Tape-out ports? I doubt if they expect folks use them for hooking up a tape player. Some even still have a tape monitor switch on the front panel. How do you guys use these ports and has anyone noticed a difference in sound quality if the tape-in port is used for something else like a CD player, etc.? If the tape-out port is just like another output, e.g., drive a separate amp or a powered subwoofer, etc., why not just call it Output?
Been meaning to ask this question, albeit it might sound rudimentary.
128x128kalali
Thank you. So technically with a unity gain I suppose one could also drive a powered subwoofer using this output, assuming the subwoofer has volume and frequency cutoff controls. I hadn't considered the other usecases mentioned.
Not very practical.  You would have to separately adjusted the subwoofer volume every time you change the preamp volume.
To point out another obvious one - the tape loop (with monitor switch on/off) is also useful for connecting an EQ in the signal path on any source.  Would apply to any effects processing actually.  I haven't used them this way in years, but have used them that way with a spectral analyzer with no EQ in the past and it can be at least interesting.

Not suggesting that most people are using tape decks these days, but it still has its utility for some.

Greg
I use the tape out connections on my preamp to feed a Stax Driver amp for my Stax electrostatic headphones.

It is a "must have" in a preamp for me!