Subwoofer for classical music listener

This is my second post on the subject of subwoofers.
My first post wasn't specific enough.
I listen to classical music 90% of the time.
Are there any classical music listeners out there who have subwoofers?
if there are, could you let me know what you have?
i don't imagine I would need quite as powerful or expensive a sub as those who mainly listen to other types of music, but I may be wrong.

128x128rvpiano
(((People suggest I should change amps instead, but I'm really happy with how perfectly the NuForce amps match with my system.))

That's great....
  Sometimes you must go 2 steps backwards in order to get 12 forward
If you put a pair of 2WQs that are sealed and high passed
with your sealed main speakers and a real amp you will be way ahead of a one ported sub with digital amps while also chasing an in room bass hump that spoils your mid range.
 Best,
 JohnnyR
Wolf_Garcia 6-4-2017
So, be like me, do what I do, and everything will be fine.
Hi Wolfie,

Your advice is good, as usual, for many circumstances. But I suspect that understandably you haven’t read through a lot of this lengthy thread. If you had done so you would have seen that the outputs of the OP’s amplifiers cannot be used to drive a powered sub, as their + and - output terminals are offset from ground by 24 volts. Also they are monoblocks, which presents additional complications.  And while most or all REL subs have 100K input impedances on their speaker-level inputs, as you mentioned, most or all of them have 10K input impedances on their line-level inputs. Which is too low for his preamp to drive with good results, in combination with the 22K input impedance of his amps.

So while you and a number of others in the thread have suggested REL subs, they would not be a good choice in this particular situation.

Tim (Mr_m), you’re welcome!

Best regards,
-- Al

@rvpiano
FYI: The SVS SB-2000 is not ported. I've owned the SB-1000 and I think you will like the SVS!
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000
Post removed 
i don’t imagine I would need quite as powerful or expensive a sub as those who mainly listen to other types of music [than classical], but I may be wrong.

Indeed, I believe this rests on a misconception, albeit an understandable one; power and "exactitude" is an important basis for finesse and insight, I find, as is displacement area to cover the whole envelope and (all things being equal) make for lower distortion (i.e.: smaller cone movement for similar SPL). Sensitivity (again, all things being equal) would also be of importance, though very high sensitivity subs are harder to come by and physically incorporate, given these would likely take up a lot of space as horn loaded designs or ported dittos - insofar they're even tuned for commercial use (cinema subs here would be the better option here, rather than typical PA subs).

As commercial subs goes there seems to be consensus on sealed designs being easier to integrate with the mains, but I imagine (actually know for a fact) that properly integrated ported subs can make for an excellent extension of the main speakers, though I would add they generally sound different than sealed subs. To my mind a sealed sub generally excels over a ported ditto in being "more quiet" when not called for, or perhaps this is a way of saying that in any kind of sonic action it leaves a slightly smaller, or smoother fingerprint. To some this may translate into something missing, perhaps not least while watching films, but to others it may be just the thing, not least with music, to make it all mesh better.

From a more pragmatic point of view (even with the proviso I don’t know your main speakers) my advice would be to go with a sealed, powerful sub preferably fitted with a 15" or upwards, very powerful and larger voice coil diameter driver, and with extensive DSP capabilities for proper integration. In my own setup I use the SVS SB16-Ultra with great results (incl. the outcome with classical music) - indeed a sonic beast in the best sense of the word, in service of both insight, integration and sheer brute, effortless force when needed. Though I’ve never heard it the Funk Audio 18.0C also seems like a great choice.