Subwoofer for classical music listener

This is my second post on the subject of subwoofers.
My first post wasn't specific enough.
I listen to classical music 90% of the time.
Are there any classical music listeners out there who have subwoofers?
if there are, could you let me know what you have?
i don't imagine I would need quite as powerful or expensive a sub as those who mainly listen to other types of music, but I may be wrong.

128x128rvpiano
Hi Sevs,

If you want to commit to doing it right, as opposed to just playing around for months, this is the order of things to do:

1. Room Tuning. Contact GIK acoustics for proper help, especially with their bass traps.

2. EQ/DSP

When you get here you can decide if you need....

3. Second Sub

Also, lots of new and not extremely expensive DAC's do GREAT with Redbook and streaming.

Best,

E
Not using subs for (especially) classical music is better for multiple reasons: subs are slow(er) than your main speakers and will 'muddy' way up to the lower midrange, they will further reduce coherence of instruments and vocals, and change overall sound 'character'. If your speakers do not cover the desired frequency range it's probably a better investment to upgrade them instead of buying subs. 
I have to disagree, but with qualifications regarding what @thebestaudio posted.

Not using subs for (especially) classical music is better for multiple reasons: subs are slow(er) than your main speakers and will ’muddy’ way up to the lower midrange,

Kind of sort of.

I know for many people this has been their experience, so it’s not exactly wrong.... but it’s incomplete.

Properly integrated (well placed, good room treatment, accurately calibrated EQ), many inexpensive subs will sound great, and suffer none of these effects. The problem is "properly integrated" is damn hard and damn rare. Very few hobbyists have the background to pull it off well, so few have ever heard it. They rush out, spend hours messing around, and are never are very happy because they suffer everything this quote suggests. It is not however mandatory that this occur, and with the right effort a sub can be a phenomenal addition to any music system.

Good room acoustics will make smaller speakers sound bigger, and subs easier to integrate. Room acoustic treatment will make your room friendlier to a wider variety of speakers as well. For this reason it is your first step.

The other thing that makes success for a hobbyist who is not going to engage a pro is a great audo-eq/room correction system. Right now my favorite is from JL Audio. I really like their final curves, but $$$.

Since I have all the tools to make loudspeakers, I save mega-bucks by doing my own DSP in house. :) Not everyone can afford this. So my strong suggestion to the average hobbyist who doesn’t want to pay a good pro is to get a sub with a great built-in EQ system, or rely on your receiver/processor to do this function for you.

So unless you are an acoustician, I strongly suggest relying on pros. Rely on GIK Acoustic's advice. Rely on auto-EQ systems like JL Labs, or rely on an acoustician to come and integrate the sub for you. Otherwise, budget a lot of time learning, getting measurement tools, and EQ, etc.

I went the latter way, but I started with a background in professional audio. Like with other things, I have to rely on pro's for things I don't now how to do myself if I expect good results.

My current work is in IT by the way, I won't make money on anyone following this advice or not.

Best,

E
Teo, " sealed subs, sealed mains."
Are you suggesting that a pair of mid-level acoustic suspension speakers with a sub could perform better than a pair of upper-level full range bass reflex speakers?
Last couple of posts very discouraging!
Well, at least I have 45 days to experiment and decide.
I love my system just the way it is for classical.  Only want to get those lower octaves.
If the sub starts to harm a hair on the head of my system, it's gone!