How to get 2 Channel and Home theater in one packa

Question for a friend

Any suggestions to get excellent 2 channel and HT in one package. Serious 2 channel that means not Denon HT receivers or what ever.

Budged for amplification ~ $3000 so used pre power is possible.
Any ideas please, has to have 5 c or 2 c option in a single system. I am looking for the best possible way to get both:)

Thanks
rapogee
The systems recommended by Jamesw20 and Fplanner2000 are variations on the "combo system" that I recommended. My recommendation uses a receiver for HT processing and powering the center and surrounds. James recommendation uses a quality processor and 3 channel of a 5 channel amp for those duties. Fplanner2000 uses a dedicated processor and a seperate 3 channel amp for those duties.

The commonality here is that these systems do not use any compromised HT processor for 2-channel music. They simply built a quality 2-channel rig and added HT functionality that would not compromise the 2-channel music reproduction.

These three methods will all work well. It's simply a matter of choosing how much importance (and money) you put into the HT/multi-channel portion of your rig.

Enjoy,

TIC
I still will stick to my Anthem pre/pro/tuner with 2 channel mode which bypasses all HT processing when I want.
In addition, it allows me to enjoy DVD/A and SACD when I feel like it.
Yes, I do have a 2 channel tube system upstairs but find myself using less and less.
I know this will drive the audio crazys nuts, but a Denon 5800 series receiver would likely do an excellent job. But then you claim to be serious, so a simple solution just won't do. I guess I find myslef put off by those who think of high-end audio as an end unto itself, a hobby, rather than as merely a means to enjoying music in their homes. Do you really imagine you could tell if it were a 5800 series or a cluge suggested by Bdgregory, Jamesw20, or Fplanner2000, or that such a cluge would make the music any more enjoyable?

I enjoy tweeking the tweekers.

db
The 5800 (or similar receiver) is a perfectly legitimate option; however, it depends on what you're after. If you want to optimize 2 channel listening, there's no way a receiver will do that. I don't have to imagine it, I tried it, for some time, in the same room. Indeed, a receiver probably won't optimize the home theater listening either. Another, probably better quality option is to have a great pre-pro as suggested by some of the posters above with great outboard power amps, and drive your 2 channel using the digital bypass available on most pre-pros. This can yield excellent 2 channel performance, but not as good as can be gotten with a great 2 channel preamp.

That's not to say that the 2 channel (and HT) performance can't be excellent. My experience (and preference) is that separates sound better $ for $.

I also don't think it's necessarily true that a 5800 is any less "clugey" than a separates approach. Indeed an argument can be made it's more of a cluge. At the end of the day the only thing you save is a handful of interconnects. I have a Sony ES receiver in my living room system, and the cabling is a mess.
I was asking similar quesion to myself and fellow A'goners.

I ended up with http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1097693275&read&3&4&

I'm pretty satisfied with it, and I'm planning to upgrade to 568 for the 2ch improvement.

With this set up - HT is Exellent, and 2CH is Very nice.

However, If I start again from scratch, I might consider getting 2 separate systems going for bettter 2ch and very nice 5ch receiver or less expensive pre/pro with 5ch amps such as Outlaw.