How to get 2 Channel and Home theater in one packa

Question for a friend

Any suggestions to get excellent 2 channel and HT in one package. Serious 2 channel that means not Denon HT receivers or what ever.

Budged for amplification ~ $3000 so used pre power is possible.
Any ideas please, has to have 5 c or 2 c option in a single system. I am looking for the best possible way to get both:)

Thanks
rapogee
I know this will drive the audio crazys nuts, but a Denon 5800 series receiver would likely do an excellent job. But then you claim to be serious, so a simple solution just won't do. I guess I find myslef put off by those who think of high-end audio as an end unto itself, a hobby, rather than as merely a means to enjoying music in their homes. Do you really imagine you could tell if it were a 5800 series or a cluge suggested by Bdgregory, Jamesw20, or Fplanner2000, or that such a cluge would make the music any more enjoyable?

I enjoy tweeking the tweekers.

db
The 5800 (or similar receiver) is a perfectly legitimate option; however, it depends on what you're after. If you want to optimize 2 channel listening, there's no way a receiver will do that. I don't have to imagine it, I tried it, for some time, in the same room. Indeed, a receiver probably won't optimize the home theater listening either. Another, probably better quality option is to have a great pre-pro as suggested by some of the posters above with great outboard power amps, and drive your 2 channel using the digital bypass available on most pre-pros. This can yield excellent 2 channel performance, but not as good as can be gotten with a great 2 channel preamp.

That's not to say that the 2 channel (and HT) performance can't be excellent. My experience (and preference) is that separates sound better $ for $.

I also don't think it's necessarily true that a 5800 is any less "clugey" than a separates approach. Indeed an argument can be made it's more of a cluge. At the end of the day the only thing you save is a handful of interconnects. I have a Sony ES receiver in my living room system, and the cabling is a mess.
I was asking similar quesion to myself and fellow A'goners.

I ended up with http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1097693275&read&3&4&

I'm pretty satisfied with it, and I'm planning to upgrade to 568 for the 2ch improvement.

With this set up - HT is Exellent, and 2CH is Very nice.

However, If I start again from scratch, I might consider getting 2 separate systems going for bettter 2ch and very nice 5ch receiver or less expensive pre/pro with 5ch amps such as Outlaw.
oh, my reasoning of totally separate systems over 'combo' system is because of the matching speakers and amp problem.

One important thing on HT is to get the matching set of speakers.

If you have a expensive set of fronts for 2ch, you are forced to get the rest of the expensive matching center and rears.

Also, it's better to kind of 'match' the amps, too, unless you don't care about the overall quality of HT, which case, why bother in the first place, just get a HarmanKardon Receiver and decent speaker package.

Balancing is important in HT.

Thus, overall you might end up spending more than you need trying to do the combo way.

Bdgregory is exactly correct. The love of music AND HT can be enjoyed by all in all price ranges thanks to pricing of receivers. I have been at this for a number of years and have spent more than I care to remember. I also started with a CC receiver and speakers that I was happy with then started the evolution up the ladder to higher end receivers/speakers then to low budget separates to what I consider a nice but reasonable system. From experience can you enjoy both media with a receiver, YES. If you listen AND can afford, and I cannot, a $200,000 two channel system will it sound better than the mentioned above, YES! So, buy what you can afford and enjoy. BTW, this is a fun hobby as well as a passion!