why do some turntables have multiple tonearms?

i have seen some turntables that have 2 (or more) tonearms. what is the purpose for having more than one tonearm mounted on a turntable? what does it allow you to do that you can't do on a tonearm that has one tonearm?
paperw8
To me it is about the kind of music one is listen to. I use
Triplanar/ Benz Ruby 3s for vocals and the Reed 2A /Phase
Tech P-3G for piano music and symphonys. There are no perfect carts nor tonearms. So one should use what is best
in the given circumstances depending on the owned combos.

Regards,
It is actually a great idea to have two different arms/cartridges for different music. Or three. Though expensive, it is in fact much cheaper than amassing thousands of records that you never or almost never listen because you have no time to. Unless that's the only thing you do.
If you collect records and like to have the original artifacts, you'll need to play 78s with a 2.7-3.0 mil stylus, a mono configuration and most likely a heavier tracking force. If you enjoy early mono LPs played back properly, you also need a mono setup and a 1.0 mil stylus. This is in addition to a stereo rig with a 0.7 mil (or thereabouts) stylus. You could have three turntables but the easier (and more space-saving) way to accomplish this would be to have three arms on a single turntable with switchable speeds. The next best solution is a single arm with three removable and weighted headshells/pickups, but that takes more fiddling around when you just want to listen to records.  
Post removed 
Interesting to note that this thread lay dormant for seven years.  Maybe because the possible responses are so obvious.  The OP's question is almost in the nature of a troll.  Anyway, my response is "Duh!".