Hearing is believing?........power cables.......

For anyone who is skeptical about the difference a high quality power cord can make in your high quality audio system........try it.......hearing is believing. About 10 years ago when I bought my first "entry level" hifi system (B&K amp/preamp, Canton speakers) my audio advisor dropped off a Tara Labs Prism power cord. He said just try it for a week and if you don't think it makes a difference just return it. I, like most unfamiliar with high quality cables, was skeptical.......how could a cable 1 meter long from the wall to my equipment make a difference? I put it on the power amp and yes I could definitely tell there was a more defined bass and overall clearer soundscape. I'm a musicians, so I figured maybe the "non audiophile" can't hear the difference. So my brother-in-law who is a bricklayer came over and we did a blind listening test. I randomly switched the Tara, sometimes trying to fool him......told him I switched but didn't........he could tell every time I used the Tara! So I was convinced that it was "wishful thinking on my part or particularly sensitive ears. If you don't think a great power cable can make a difference........take the challenge. Try one for a week and see (hear) for yourself!
128x128mikeelzeysguitarstudio
Enjoying my system creates a valid listening test for me... If PCs don't make a difference, then there's a lot of mass hysteria going on. as has been said a million times, just because you can't measure it doesn't mean there's not a difference. Also, just because there are stupidly priced PCs doesn't mean all are a scam or are a crazy outlay of cash.

"Mass hysteria" is a stretch, Todd.  I'd opine that it is, instead, collective confirmation of imaginary phenomenons.
It appears that some think(or hope) the more they type, the more deaf we, or the more correct they, will become. There are phenomena(correct plural) that occur every second, all over this universe, that no one can yet explain. We can hear, "differences" and they want explanations, based on today’s Electrical THEORY. And yet, no one’s Science can(TODAY) even categorically define electrons, or why they behave the way they do.   "Science" itself is in a constant state of flux.   (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electrons-vanishing-act.515106/)
Dynaquest4 - WRT 

audio component manufacturers would surely provide better cables with their equipment
and the same goes for outlets, connectors etc...

However - pretty much all audio components re designed to a "Price Point" and are generally aimed at bettering other components in the same snack bracket.

To include a good Power cable would drive up the cost and ultimately take them out of that snack bracket and lower their competitiveness.

They also realize that people buying their products may also replace that power cable - so why include a good power cable when it will ultimately be discarded. Makes no sense in their eyes.

I actually heard this from one manufacturer - who believe a good power cable was essential to get the best out of their gear

I have conducted many cable upgrades to components priced between $300 and $10.000 and in each case I heard discernible differences.

That does not necessarily mean you would hear those same difference - it meas we all hear things differently - neither one is better - just different. 

e.g. - put me in a room of people and I loose track of the conversation with the person in front of me because of the ambient noise. Whereas my wife can track a single conversation across a full restaurant several tables away - comes in handy at times :-)

We could debate this at length or simply accept, as I do, that there are people that choose to believe cables makes little to no difference and those that do.

I do agree that there is little difference between  many of the cables out there - but some do excel.

Regards - Steve

rodman9999: I agree that phenomena is a more common plural form of the singular  - however, both Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary and Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary of English Usage list the possible plural forms as phenomena when the meaning is an observable fact or event but phenomenons when the meaning is an exceptional, unusual, or abnormal person, things, or occurrences.  Thus my usage.

Steve (williewonka): Nicely written opinion but I do not agree.  If I buy a $2500 stereo power amp and the manufacturer provides me a $9.00 (bulk wholesale) power cord, it is, I believe, because that power cord provides power correctly and accurately.  If he found that a power cord costing 10 times as much provided the "eye-opening, jaw dropping" (or even subtle but definite) improvements as reported by "you guys," he could substantially upgrade the cord and the amp's performance for only a 3.5% increase in the retail cost (assuming he did not mark-up the additional cord cost).  Who would not want their product (in my example a power amp) to perform dramatically better for so relatively little?

Please don't ask what aftermarket power cables I have tried because I have tried none.  My system sounds so good to me, I don't feel a need to spend time and money putzing around trying to increase the "analog-like liquidity" (and all the other voo-doo magic terminology used here) of a perfectly good system.  I have speaker cables by Kimber Kable and Wireworld RCA interconnects. They provided no increase in SQ over Monoprice products.  Is it just me...my ears?  Maybe.  And if so, I am very fortunate.  I can listen to music that sounds incredibly wonderful to me and will never have to spend an additional penny on cables, wire, cords, smoke, butterflies, rainbows and mirrors.