Experiences buying used cartridges

Most of us who belong to this forum have at one time or another purchased a few used cartridges. I wanted to start this post to discuss our experiences.
Would you do it again? Was it a good experience with an honest seller or was it a nightmare?
analogluvr
Buying a used phono cartridge for me would be like buying a used Tooth Brush!  The used cartridges I do have were included with used turntables I'd purchased. If I liked them I changed the stylus or had it retipped. 
When people talking about SoundSmith retiping service It sounds like his cartridges/cantilevers are "the best in the wolrd" and if you retip your original cartridge you will get a better one, but it is not true. This statement is very strange and shows only disrecpect to the original manufacturers, who developed so many unique cartridges over the years. It might works for your Denon, but it is not always works for truly High-End cartridges. It make sence to retip cheap cartridge with the most advanced cantilever and stylus tip, but you can’t rebuild, retip or recantilever ZYX (for example) expecting to get a better cartridge, you are foolling yourself! You will get a very strange hybrid cartridge that no longer ZYX, same with so many other top class cartridges. Otherwise SoundSmith own carts would be better than anything else on the market, but they are not! In so many cases you don’t need Ruby cantilever on certain cartridges, also take it count the stylus moving mass compared to the original. Some cartridges sounds much better than Ruby or Sapphire just with the aluminum or beryllium cantilevers (beryllium is restricted long time ago). For the price of SS retip anyone can buy a used, fully original cartridge in perfect working condition. Also if you will look how the top class cartridge manufacturers (like Technics for example) placed and fixed nude diamonds throught the boron hollowed pipe cantilevers you will realize that NO ONE can do that today the same way at any price. Modern retippers can only glue the stylus tip to the cantilever which is way different method.
vegasears
Buying a used phono cartridge for me would be like buying a used Tooth Brush!
+1
That's very well said!

@vegasears untill you will find a used vintage cartridge that outperform your new $5000 cartridge for 1/10 of the price. Or do you believe NEW is always better performer? Sadly new products from the legendary cartridge designers like Takeda San is no longer available and it's impossible to find NOS. Ignoring vintage (used) cartridges you miss a lot, not to mention the fact that if you believe in burn-in theory your new cartridge is not performing well in the first 200 hours (what a waste of time).  
Most of my best cartridges are used, vintage HQ thirty or more years old. 
The best I have heard are from the 80´s, one is modern (MC). One costed me 150 dollars + postage. I will never buy new $2000 cart.

I bought 3 HQ MM carts from V. Simakov of grgaudio, very happy with all.