VAC 30/70...pick your pre?

Considering a pair of VAC 30/70’s however concerned a bit about matching the Pre well; on the other hand, can’t spend another 5-6k on a line stage right now. Thoughts? Recs? Get a better integrated instead for now?  Ideas about Line Magnetic 219 vs. Allnic T2000; pushing Wharfedale Jade 5's (87db 6ohm)

128x128phaun16
I’m imagining 92db and greater then if I want to use SET down the line?
Another factor that is equally important is that the speaker’s impedance should have relatively minimal variation as a function of frequency, or should be relatively high at all frequencies. Or both.

The Daedalus Ulysses that I use, and that a couple of others who have posted above use or have used (also with VAC Renaissance push-pull 300B amplifiers), have a 6 ohm impedance but combine an extraordinarily flat impedance curve with 97.5 db efficiency and high power handling capability. Which makes them exceptionally versatile with respect to amplifier selection. However I believe they cost upwards of $16K presently, if purchased new. Some of their smaller models, though, having a bit less efficiency and somewhat less deep bass extension, can be had new for something like half that amount.

The various Coincident models, one of which Charles uses, are also very versatile with respect to amplifier selection, and are certainly worth considering. As well as the relatively low priced (~$3K) Tekton Double Impact he mentioned, which in addition to being a remarkable bargain seems likely to be friendly to many SETs (especially those having relatively low output impedance), despite its 4 ohm nominal impedance. You may want to take a look at the current thread in which it is discussed extensively, and comments are provided by many ecstatic users:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tekton-double-impacts

Regards,
-- Al

Phaub16,

In my earlier post I said the VAC REN amps are "excellent amps and I'm very familiar with their sound/character. This is a 300b push pull design. Contray to popular belief I don't recommend SET amps regardless of the situation or speaker in question.

I do believe they have wider application than given credit but again it depends on the speaker and its load impedance, phase angles etc. As much as I enjoy my 300b SET I've discouraged some interested parties from pursuing it due to their current speakers. It is certainly a matter of the right and compatible match.

I do believe a robust 805 tubed SET such as the LM 508ia would be fine with your speaker based on owners of this amp who have similar speakers. Again the VAC REN would be an equally fine choice. 

There are pentode tube (KT 88, 120,150,6550,el 34 etc.) that would be fine. I just happen to think that DHT tubes are better sounding but that's just me.

Charles

Charles, thanks for the feedback. I actually talked to Eric from Tekton and David from Whetstone re: LM today. Was trying to PM you to avoid stretching this on here, but I can’t find that function. As to Al, John and the others as well, again much appreciated.  

Best,
Paul
Was trying to PM you to avoid stretching this on here, but I can’t find that function.

Click on his moniker 'charles1dad', then click on 'Details' from the drop down menu.
Above Charles System 'SET Bliss', click on the button 'Marketplace Feedback'.
This will open a new tab. In the new tab, click on 'Send Message'.
A small window will appear that will allow you to send Charles a PM.

Paul,
I have the LM 508 integrated and will very soon be auditioning the Double Impact speakers. I'll report back with some impressions once I take delivery. I ordered them last Wednesday, and Eric said then it would only take "a few days" to make them. If I am lucky, they may ship later this week or early next week. They would seem to be a great match with the 508, but we will find out soon enough.