Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
Hi Phusis,

Not sure why high efficiency would be a bad combo. The issue with different Class D designs, as covered, has more to do (in my mind) with impedance drops of exotics.

They are dead quiet.

When I first heard digital amplifiers it was with a pro monitors based on pioneer metal-dome compression drivers.  OMG that was painful. :)

But that was in the 80's.

Class D amps are also dead quiet, so that's not a big deal.

Still, I don't have recent experience, so I hope some one who does will chime in.

Best,

E
@kdude66

No worries at all. :) I think that the participation of so many here who have been pleasantly surprised and are enjoying Class D amps speaks for itself.

We also went a little deep into theory without measurement. :-) We should stay away from that. My bad.

Best,

E
I can easily comment a little about the pairing of class d with efficient speakers.I have been using d with Zu definitions for 4'yrs and also a pair of Crites cornscalas that I built for 2 yrs.Basically if the first watt of any amp is no good I don't want x amount more of them.There has been a lot of people say that high damping factor of any class of Amp is'nt a good match too full range drivers which cause over damping of the cones and don't sound as natural in a musical note decay.I found this not true too my ears,I have owned lots of tube and class a amps over my time and my preference in the music presentation leads me back too the class d amps I currently own.I had a pair of the Janzen Valentina hybrid ESL speakers recently for 6 months and drove them with class d very well.But I like the Zu's better in my room and kept them.I have a pair of Tekton double impacts that will arrive this wed and I will see how they sound with class d.

The only negatives to class d is driving the exotic speakers,the ones that drop below 3ohms.

Reproducing audio in the home has and will always be highly subjective and system synergy has tremendous benefits.

Erik,
I'm not a Amp designer but I have been a Avionics tech at a major airline for 28 yrs,so I have a fair understanding of electronics in general.It is very cool and also very interesting too learn as much as we can about our gear but you are going to hurt your head just like I have trying to fully grasp class d.I prefer to just kick back and enjoy the music.I recently caught myself analyzing my double impact speakers before I even get them,crossover points and driver configuration.There is a lot of positives for class d now and in the future.
Kenny.

Class-D that can finally equal or better hi-end linear amplifiers, tube or S/S.

It's closer than you think.

Why We'll Soon Be Living In A Class D World

"In fact, that transistor technology is available today and is increasingly being used by manufacturers to create near perfect sound quality for Class D audio systems. The greater switching speed of Efficient Power Conversion's (EPC's) eGaN® FETs allow amplifier designers to increase PWM switching frequencies, reduce dead-time, and drastically reduce feedback; in turn, producing a sound quality previously limited to large, complex, heavy Class A amplifier systems. Further, this innovative high-speed switching technology has already disrupted myriad other industries, including telecommunications, medical, and automotive to name a few.  
A high-definition eGaN FET-based system with higher PWM switching frequency, reduced feedback, and higher bandwidth produces the sound that has the warmth and sonic quality that audiophiles demand; while actually improving upon the power efficiency of traditional Class D. Class A audio's historic lesser child Class D is coming of age with eGaN technology. And in the next decade, these systems will replace Class A technology, as well as the silicon MOSFET Class D systems in active use today.

Significantly, audio manufacturers are taking notice and incorporating GaN-based Class D FETs in their systems. This is why, in another two or three years you will start seeing a slew of new Class D amps - ones based on GaN - rolling out to the market; and, for such varied uses as home theatre, car, boat, portable wireless speakers, along with high-fidelity home systems."   

Cheers George
George,
Right on track,I love it.
I was eventually going to post this info but you beat me too it.

Kenny.