VPI Scout Set up

I think I want the VPI Scout. How easy/hard is it to set up and maintain? Suggested cartridge to match? I want good sound, dependability without a lot of hassles. New to the audio scene. Want to spend $3,500 or less on TT, cartridge and cables. Was considering the Prime but that looks intimidating to me to set up properly. Pairing with a MAC 6700 integrated amp and Audio Monitor Gold 300 speakers. Open to any and all suggestions. 
janunn
I had my dealer set up my Aries 3x3 and unfortunately it was not set up to the optimum specs.  Become familiar with your Prime tone arm and make the effort to  set it up on your own, or at least double-check your dealers work.  May I suggest a SoundSmith Counter Intuitive to take some of the sting out of VTF and azimuth adjustments.
Properly setting up a turntable isn't particularly hard, it's just very time consuming to be as careful as you need to be.  Many adjustments rely on other adjustments, so when the arm height is adjusted, the vtf, et al needs to be reset etc .   Dealers don't want to take the time to do it right.  Most do it ok, but there's always a tweak to get it better.
I have a VPI TNT jr. with a JMW 12.6 arm in my main system and a VPI Scout - first with the 9" and now with a 10" JMW memorial tonearm in my second system. Snap to set-up.  No issues at all with the unipivot arms.  I ran it with a koetsu rosewood signature and an accuphase AC-2 cartridge with no issues. Like the rega, no active suspension so get a vibraplane, ginkgo, sound organizations, etc. I have had Regas and Linns and think the Scout is just awesome.
If you're not too familiar with turntable set ups, I'd suggest avoiding unipivot arms.  And is you do get a scout (I have a special edition scout and have had a VPI classic as well) definitely get the soundsmith counter intuitive.   Once you try to adjust the scout, would understand why....   also, soundsmith carts do match well with the scout....
Just a small piece of friendly advice - I have seen several audiophiles stop using analog because they cannot help constantly obsessing over whether the setup is just right.  This obsession completely overwealms them and interferes with their enjoyment of playing a record.  So I just say this - get your table, have it set up and enjoy.  You were very smart to buy from a dealer who is setting it up for you.  Don't worry about every little thing and obsess that the antiskate isn't right or the VTA is not spot on.  
If something does sound amiss, call your dealer to walk you through it and don't get crazy.  Try to enjoy.