Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
erik_squires

That has been my experience as well...

The "Class D Audio" SDS-470C is... very, very close to the Parasound Halo amps.  

The area in which the Halo amps might be a wee bit better (maybe) is in the clarity, and crispness of the bass (maybe).  
A well designed Class D amp will bring you in and draw you closer to your music. You also will hear deeper into your music and the details you never knew existed before suddenly appear as if previously you've been listening  in a fog bank. My analogy/ the difference would be like looking through a dirty pane of glass as opposed to a sparkling clean one. I own two Class D amps and love them!
phd
A well designed Class D amp will bring you in and draw you closer to your music. You also will hear deeper into your music and the details you never knew existed before suddenly appear as if previously you’ve been listening in a fog bank. My analogy/ the difference would be like looking through a dirty pane of glass as opposed to a sparkling clean one. I own two Class D amps and love them!

Odd the opposite of what was heard from the $50K Mark Levinson No.53 Class-D monoblocks

Stereophile's Michael Fremer listens to the ML No 53’s.
"Through the No.53s Cassidy’s voice was pinpoint sharp but the reverb, instead of being airy and ethereal, sounded like a hard haze that obscured detail at low levels and became fatiguing at higher ones.
As seems to be the case with switching amps, no matter how carefully designed, the higher in frequency the music goes, the more problems there are. That also holds true the more you turn up the volume. Generally speaking, the louder I played the No.53s, the more pronounced the haze. The more high-frequency content in the music—women’s voices, cymbals, reverberant backdrops—the more the haze intruded on and obscured the images, forcing me to turn down the volume."

Cheers George

@georgehifi 

Guess I didn't pay enough for them to find the problems Fremer had.

Best,

E
Georgehifi, price don't always dictate performance and you sir do not have my speakers. Mark Levinson builds conventional amps very well but maybe he should leave the design of Class D amps to manufacturers that have had a good track record of building excellent sounding Class D amps. Class D does require experimentation, careful matching with the right speakers, interconnects, power cords and preamps to get the most out of them.