Grado cartridges still worth the money?

I wonder if people still pay near $2000 for MM cartridges? I have an old TR and wonder if I should upgrade it to the latest version. 
luna
Love the Grados. I had a few including the Promethean which was a modded inexpensive Grado. I had a Grado on my Special Edition Maplenoll air bearing everything TT that was isolated on a sub Hertz platform. That was 20 years ago. How time flies. I am currently using Grado SR 80 headphones with my portable cassette player. Very musical, yeah!
I had an older Reference Sonata that needledoctor let me do a trade in for a Reference1 which made it 1k. I listened to a Dynavector 17d3 and a Benz Glider(not sure now what output) prior as all three were within my budget and for me Grado was the obvious choice no question even at full retail. I think a retip of an older woody is a fabulous way to go. I have not heard the newer 2 series, would love to though. I have had my Ref1 on an 8 gram effective mass project 9ccEvo arm and now a Nottingham 12" arm with a 15.5 gram mass and both sound(ed) great. 
Hey,, People start talking now. Wish someone has tried the series 2 Reference?
@luna I have posted something about my experience with Joseph Grado Signature model (the Grado XTZ) in MM thread. It's wonderful cartridge, rare, but still under $1000 if you will find one. It was $750 in the 80s and i doubt their new models can be any better than Joseph's signature XTZ.  
Not exactly a Grado, but my Cartridge Man Music Maker 3 (with Soundsmith ruby/contact line retip) is incredible in my OL Encounter mk3C / Townshend Rock 3 setup. It beat a Dynavector xx2 Mk2 in this setup. Not claiming the MM is a "better" cart overall, just a better match with the OL arm. Len Gregory (the Cartridge Man) starts with a cheap plastic Grado, guts and completely rebuilds it. Doesn’t look like much, but the sonics far exceed any Grado I’ve ever heard! Also great in my Hadcock 242 arm. Highly recommended in the right (light to medium mass) arm.