Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
I really really like the idea of putting a tube pre in front of these amps, especially with the high-input impedance varieties I've read about.

I often suggested tube pre/ss amp before, so this idea appeals to me a great deal.

If I wasn't 50/50 HT and music I would consider it more seriously for myself.

Best,

E
i love my tube preamp with my class D monoblocks.  i haven't heard loads of gear, but the tube pre seems to add that bit of warmth and a sense of the sound being tangible that may be missing with straight class D amps.  though i really should try them with a passive pre, just to hear their true nature..

i'm running ghent audio monoblocks, which apparently use 2 ICEpower ASP modules in each amp putting out 500w/channel into my 4ohm floorstanders.  the preamp is a modest dared mc7-p.  

the build quality of the amps is very solid.  excellent cmc binding posts and rca jacks, solid housing.. and the sound!  my speakers have side firing 12" woofers and these amps control those drivers like it's their job.  because it is.  but they do it well and with authority.  the separation of sounds is equally incredible and i'm constantly amazed at the raw power my ghents deliver along with delicate detail effortlessly floating on top.

good stuff!
Todd,

Remind me please your preamp?

I was a big fan of the old-school CJ preamps. I had thought about getting a modern Cary instead, but man, the press they get about service quality.

I've not listened to CJ pre's since they came out with the ART line.

Best,

E

@toddverron

There are not too many speakers with large side-firing woofers... Might you be using VIenna Acoustics Mahler speakers? I hav owned those, and they are amazing with class D amps.

Guido

Been on the class d amp seen since Wyred 4 sound early stereo ones, got interested so I built a ClassD Audio dual mono bridged one with the SDS 254 boards and was hooked best sound for the money bar none. Went to D Sonic monos and now have The Nords like the OP (they use the NC500 boards). Can confirm that a passive is a good match I had the Wyred 4 Sound Pre and that sounded great should of kept it. Then got a Audio Research LS17SE and that sounded good but wanted a little more warmth so now I have the PS Audio BHK Pre another great pre with the sound I have been working for, also you can turn off the tube section when not listening