How would you get into the biz?

I'm really NOT soliciting here.

I'm just thinking about how VERY difficult the high end speaker business is. It is the electronic equivalent of opening up your own restaurant. Very hard, laborious, risky, and full of nefarious types. Kind of like the concrete business. :)

What do you think are the best and worst ways?

Best,

E
erik_squires
The niche that is really opening up is the small powered stereo speaker with digital inputs. Think audio engine and vanatoo. If I were to try to chase the buck, I would start stuffing hypex modules in fancy aluminum cases. 
Give me a free pair to start a word of mouth campaign.
Is Squires your real last name, Eric? I thought it might be Alexander until you mentioned 2-way.
I agree with Sean, the mass market is definitely heading that way.  And I believe a fair number of those will convert to higher end audio as they age, get the means.  Kind of like start with a Honda, move up to an Acura.
@erik_squires There's a lot of good insight to be had here.

I often say: "Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want... wisdom is what you get when you've got a lot of experience."

As a marketing professional (albeit hailing from the IT industry with some background with CAD and CAM in the sporting goods trade), I have seen clients make many mistakes in their startup stage, particularly with regard to running before they walk.  In the unbridled enthusiasm to get going, the basics are overlooked, in a rush to "do something" they wind up in a place that they didn't want to be and had to spend money and time to back out of the corner they painted themselves into.

I'd urge you to take a month or two (longer, if necessary) and develop a thorough business plan - you know - "plan the work, then work the plan".  Use it as a roadmap for where you want to do and how you want to get there, tracking milestones along the way.  It will help you stay on course.  It will also serve you should you need Angel, VC or traditional bank financing at any point.

If you need help, let me know.  Sounds like a fun project.
The future is likely single ended flea watt tube amps, efficient speakers, and vinyl. Go future!