Best Tubed Preamp For A Warm, Rich Sound, Yet Still Detailed and Agile

As the title says, I am looking for an exceptional preamp (obviously tubed) with warmth and liquidity, some of that golden glow, in the midrange and highs. I do not want slowness, or lack of detail, however. My budget is up to $6,000.00, for a used model. 

Based on my research, many of those that might make the list are very rare to find, and other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

nightfall
jmcgrogan25,804 posts04-06-2017 6:00pm
I hope your Rowland Model 6's are still serving you well!

Actually, the Model 6's are long gone, but not forgotten.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/rowland-model-6-monoblocks-my-thoughts

The Model 6's were some terrific amps, without question the best Class A/B amps I've ever heard. 

I have heard good things of Wells Audio, but I've never had a chance to hear any of their products.
I'll be interested to see what preamp you wind up mating with that amp.
Have you asked Jeff Wells for any preamp recommendation?

Just left Jeff a voice mail message about that very subject. He's a great guy, incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. We've had quite a few conversations about the amp. 

Just curious, what caused you to leave the Model 6's behind, and what did you replace them with?
Not a ton of experience with preamps in your price range (which would be in the $10-15K) retail range, I agree with Al on the Herron. A fantastic linestage and the best I've had in my system by far. Super quiet, very organic and musical. To my ears it may not have as much "tube warmth" as you are looking for but that does not mean it is at all sterile sounding--quite the opposite. Just very true to the tone and harmonics of real music without added coloration. Plus you get Keith's unparalleled support and expertise!
Soundsrealaudio....can you elaborate on the differences between the deHavilland Ultraverve and Mercury preamps?
second the recs for DeHavilland Ultraverve. Love mine. It's single ended only. 
Just curious, what caused you to leave the Model 6's behind, and what did you replace them with?

The never ending quest for audio nirvana.
I believe that I replaced the Model 6's with a BAT VK-75SE that I then had modified by Bob Backert of RHB Sound Dezign. The BAT is also long gone.
I tend to vacillate between tubes and SS amps. This time last year was a VAC tube amp. This year, so far, it's Pass Labs SS amps. Who knows what the future holds?

I've been married to the same woman for 33 years now.
However, when it comes to audio equipment, I'm not the "settling down" type.
I like to play the field. ;^)