Blu Ray over/under $

Sony announced the release of a blu ray DVD player for this summer along with some disc releases. What's your guess of how much it will cost upon intial release? How much would you pay to get one or would you get one at all?
maineiac
The big question is the degree of video improvement over standard DVD. My opinion is that most consumers were sold more on the convenience rather than the improved video qualities of DVD over VHS. HD-DVD and Blu-ray offer no improvement in convenience over standard DVD. And with two competing formats, aimed at videophiles rather than the general public [DVD was rapidly targeted to the general public] it seems that once again manufactures are engaging in a format "murder-suicide pact"!
I think these new formats ar being introduced too soon. Most people still haven't experienced true HDTV. Once they do, I think you'll be able to sell them on a new DVD player that's "as good as HDTV." Assuming it doesn't cost more than $200, of course.

So who's gonna get to $200 first? Blu-Ray is starting at $1000, HD-DVD at $500. I know where I'd put my money.
Nope won't even consider it unless it takes off and never looks back.

Sony is pretty good at coming up with formats and leaving them high and dry.
Blu Ray is 1080p vs HD-dvd at 1080i.
Blu Ray has the space on the disc to have even a LOTR extended version on one dics with lossless DTS-HD soundtrack...were HD DVD will not.
B/R 25-50gb actually used on initial movies.
Hd dvd 15 of 30 possible gb is all they say there going to use initially.
B/R will upscale sd dvd to 1080p... and HD DVD will upscale to 1080i like current players do.

As far as audio...the new lossless DTS/DD wil require 6 analog inputs much like sa-cd...until the new receivers/pre/pros come out with this built in...and then you will need a single hdmi cable to transmit the lossless audio.

The Ps3 B/R demo in Vegas is said to look spectacular...and M/S is supposed to announce add on HD DVD hardware for there 360 today.