Best speakers under $500? Fire away!

Looking for suggestions for budget speakers under $500.  Can be floor or bookshelf.  
Let's hear the suggestions for the experts out there!

Thank you
34dean
+2

But this is what happens when someone insists on asking for suggestions on the internet, especially speakers.  Instead of making up a short list and going out and audition.  You end up buying what the popular flavor of the year is from a consensus from a bunch of strangers on the internet.  Which seldom ends up being the right speaker for you.

If the OP had asked a year ago, it would have overwhelming been the Pioneer SP-BS22 LR.  This year Elac.  Who know which one next year.  But you can be assured the question will continue to be asked.   

I have not pulled the trigger yet on anything.  My plan was to start with the ELAC's and then also bring in the 10.1's and MA Bronze 1's and compare all with my current Klipsch RB-61's.  I agree with people here about listening to as many as possible.  But I need to do that at home.  

I realize that spec-wise, the MA's might match up best due to my 3020's 20wpc but bc it is what it is, I think it can drive almost any speakers in this area.
Any amp will "drive" any speaker. The question is how well. We hooked up my buddy's 8wpc homemade tube integrated amp to my Martin Logan electrostatics just for kicks and plenty of sound came out. They are normally fed by a pair of McIntosh MC2200 amps. Actually, that Pioneer model mentioned earlier is a better match for the 3020, all things considered.
Correct the specifications of the speakers doesn’t give the full picture there are speakers with high sensitivity but less efficiency and more demanding than ones with low sensitivity, there are low watts power out put amps but extremely efficient  and in contrarary terrible aledgley high power output amps atc....

I could just post a "+3", but I'll try to explain.

" tls49... going to listen at higher levels and will see how many lights illuminate.  I was at only 10 o'clock volume the other night and 4 of the lights lit up. "

When that 4th light blinks, that means the amp is peaking at 20 watts of output power. Now the 3020 can peak at least 40 watts and a little higher depending on the load. So, the above scenario is well within it's operating range.

The sensitivity of the  ELAC Debut B6 is spec'd at 87db, but as I said, that needs to be adjusted to 85.5 db because it's a 6 ohm speaker. Stereophile actually measured it at 85db. That's 10db lower than the Klipsch speakers you are currently using. That means the B6 will require more than 160 watts of peak power to play at the same volume of the above scenario with the Klipsch needing 20 watts of peak power. Do you actually think the 3020 is capable of peaking more than 160 watts?

So, +3   huge mistake