Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Frank,

Are you actually saying that the highest resolution systems magnify everything including power supply variations and everything else unrelated to the source?

Have you not considered that a system that magnifies the impacts of a fuse is likely obscuring what is coming from the source?

I regard audible effects from extraneous factors such as fuses to be distortion. I do not want equipment that magnifies distortion.

Geoff or Nyame,

No Strawman ( or are you claiming the fuse is not integral to the point where power comes in). No Sadness from me only the reality that in some crazy threads here ( fortunately the minority) there is clearly a complete lack of common sense and the emperor has no clothes. Please note that ad hominem attacks simply mean you are at a loss for a counter argument as to why you would support equipment that magnifies the fuse sound?

Geoff or Nyame,

No Strawman ( or are you claiming the fuse is not integral to the point where power comes in). No Sadness from me only the reality that in some crazy threads here ( fortunately the minority) there is clearly a complete lack of common sense and the emperor has no clothes. Please note that ad hominem attacks simply mean you are at a loss for a counter argument as to why you would support equipment that magnifies the fuse sound?

These are not ad hominem attacks. They’re attacks on your misunderstanding of how fuses can be bad for the sound and why they are a potential lightning rod for vibration and RFI/EMI. And why aftermarket fuses are superior to stock fuses, you know, because they address those issues as well as provide superior conductivity. And why wire directionality dictates the sound quality. Maybe take a day off from the action and review the thread from the very beginning, hmmm?

have a nice day

@knghifi.  

Everything sounds the same? 

Huh?

Not sure if you are kidding or have no experience. 

Of course equipment makes a difference.

Clearly faulty or badly designed equipment is causing several audiophiles grief here. They are finding large audible differences when there should not be. Unfortunately their gear is adding distortion from minute differences in the fuse.
While the opinions I have expressed during the course of this thread do not coincide with those representing either extreme of the belief spectrum, I’ll say that I believe George has raised an interesting point about degradation of the fuse element over time, as a result of repeated turn-on surges or other use-related factors. That possibility not having been stated previously in the thread, as far as I can recall, and I suppose it might account for perceived improvements with upgraded fuses in some if not many cases.

Frank and others mentioned significant further improvements when upgrading from "near new" SR Red to SR Black fuses, and I don’t doubt their perceptions. But perhaps the several reports we’ve seen in the thread of SR fuses being more prone to blow in some applications than stock fuses signify that the degradation/aging effect George has referred to occurs more quickly with those fuses than with typical stock fuses. Perhaps almost instantly in some applications, to some degree, given that some of the false blows have been reported to occur immediately.

Just a thought, which at this point I suppose can’t be ruled out as being a factor in some if not many cases.

Regards,
-- Al

Almarg            03-14-17

You are so reliable. You had to jump in to support your flat earth friends. The problem is that you had nothing of substance to say so drafted this carefully  worded meaningless nonsense designed to show your impartiality,

I am very disappointed that, as a fully trained Lawyer, you remain silent in the presence of Wolf-Garcia untenable sustained attacks on Oregonpapa and this thread. 

One of the bedrocks of Legal jurisprudence for over 2000 years is the 
principle that a person is presumed to be innocent until proven otherwise. 
It is not unreasonable to assume from his posts that Wolf_Garcia would  from, and become a better person, if you explained this  principle to him.