The value of of the sealed record.

Like many collectors, I own and collect a number of sealed LP's. However, after my latest acquisition, I got to thinking that perhaps owning a sealed LP isn't that great an idea. Why do we buy sealed LP's?? Well, I guess most of us like the idea that nobody has played the piece before. Unfortunately, I suspect that like many other collectors and music lovers, we leave the piece in question- still sealed. For what reason??? Is it that we are expecting the next collector to value it more highly, therefore using it as an investment vehicle. I think this is a factor is many instances. Problem is, at what point does the sealed LP actually get opened? Do we open it and enjoy the music, do we open it and find the vinyl inside is actually damaged? Do we open it only on special occasions? Are we actually fooling ourselves thinking the sealed LP is in Mint condition?  What is the value of the sealed record to you?

128x128daveyf
Post removed 
I must be a moron I thought you bought sealed records to then open them and play. :-)
Depends on the record. I would not unseal a MERCURY LIVING STEREO or original BOB DYLAN or ORIGINAL MONO STONES. That's for gol durn sure.
In today's counterfeit environment, I would imagine that it would not be too difficult to re-seal an album to look like the original.  
I have bought quite a few sealed records, and opened most of them to play, I have few rarer Lp's still sealed, The Small Faces &  Space Ritual - by Hawkweed spring to mind. I agree with 'Testpilot', i wouldn't be surprised if somebody , somewhere is buying NR, Mint Copies, 'shrinking' them and hoping the buyers are investors who will not open them.