Krell HTS 7.1 for 2 channel or a new or used 2 channel pre?

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Krell HTS 7.1 for 700.00 I have Krell amps Tyler Acoustic Decade 2 speakers. I am currently using a Yamaha 3030 as a pre and it sucks. I switched to the Yamaha for ease of use with hdmi and all but I find it severely lacking in the audio department. So this brings me to the question do I get the Krell or keep searching for a 2 channel pre? Budget is 1000

We listen to cd's and stream via Spotify. I would like to eventually get into lp's

thanks
jfondell
I always thought that they were all the same, maybe I'll try a new one as cables I think will be next just not sure where to go. I made all my own power cables from Neotech wire that I really like so I'll keep those. I'm running Lat International interconnects and speaker wire but I think I want to get away from the silver. When I turn the system up to say 15 it's way to bright the highs are ear piercing 

Yup, I totally know where you're coming from.  I used to run silver plated copper speaker cable (Audison wire) and solid-core OCC Silver interconnects until I determined that they really did not match well with very strong solid-state equipment.  Silver will charge and discharge faster than copper will.  What I have found is that silver will push the upper mids and highs more.  In addition, bass and mid-bass will be somewhat weak in comparison to copper and the ultra-high frequencies will be smoothed out.  When paired with very strong solid-state equipment like the Krell stuff we have, the sound may come across as too sterile / solid-state and may be a little harsh.  The sound may be a bit artificial as well.  This all comes down to system synergy.  Even putting a single Hi-Fi Tuning fuse (which contains a silver element) can introduce that "silver" sonic signature.  Silver may be a good component to compensate for a very warm or laid back system (maybe like tubes or McIntosh), but it's too much for strong solid-state.  You end up losing emotional attachment to the music.

I have recommended this next suggestion before, but a really cheap way to start transition to pure copper is to get some standard 12awg OFC (oxygen free copper) stranded speaker wire.  This can be obtained extremely cheap from Mono price ($15 for 50 feet) or any other source.  Just make sure it's OFC.  The Beldon stuff sold by Blue Jean Cable is actually inferior (I've tested it).  I don't think the Beldon is actually OFC at all, just standard cheap tinned copper.  I think you may be surprised on how natural (and neutral) the 12awg stranded OFC copper sounds in your system (once it is burned in).  You can run this in the mean time before you decide on spending a lot of money on speaker cable.  If your Tyler speakers are bi-wire, then I would do a double-run of 12awg speaker wire to your speakers and remove the bi-wire jumpers.   I don't know which Krell amp you have, but if the Krell binding posts are not big enough for 2 x 12awg wire (9awg), then you could pick up 4 Furutech FP-201 Rhodium spades from Sonic Craft for $14 each.  They accept up to 6awg wire.

I have converted all my power cords and interconnects over to hand-braided Neotech solid-core OCC 20awg chassis wire.  I use Furutech rhodium plated connectors everywhere (for XLR interconnect and power cord connectors).  The sound is actually amazing from this.  I use Furutech rhodium fuses everywhere.

In actuality, I am currently using 12awg Monoprice stranded OFC speaker wire throughout my system with some amazing results.  Speaker wire upgrade is on my list, but it may be a little while before I get to it.  right now, I'm working on acoustic room treatments.

Ok so now I want to try to build the interconnects you have, could you maybe send me directions or build me some and I'll pay you? I have been reading all day while listening to music and I really need to tame the tweeters in my system so out with the silver. I did make a center channel speaker cable using the Neotech 3002 wire its massive in size but manageable wide bends needs room. 

Thanks

Funny thing about the speaker cable. The Neotech NES-3002 is the exact cable I want to implement into my own system. I just haven't gotten to that point yet.  I will most likely look at putting some Furutech rhodium binding posts on my speakers, if possible.  Otherwise, I'll just use Furutech rhodium spades.