The awful truth about CDs, do they have the same shelve life as LP's ?

The answer is properly not. Recent studies have shown that the chemicals used in their manufacture of CDs have reduced their life expectancy to ten years, not all but many, as per Paul Mcgowans email. The suggestion was given that if you have suspect CD's they should be re-copied. But my question is how do you identify these? I can tell you that I have a great deal of LPs and I can play anyone of these with great success and some are 40 years old. This no doubt would give some audiophiles another good reason to hold onto their belief that LPs are the way to go.
phd

"Now the music industry wants us all to support download music and music servers and abandon the CD as a medium. Is that in our best interest, or theirs?"

1. Nobody's putting a gun to your head and making you switch formats.

2. Instead of buying download replacements for your CD's, you can just rip the ones you have.

It’s in PS Audio’s interest not to have quality CD mechanisms in their products, as they are the only whole expensive mechanical parts they have to purchase and integrated into a cd player. If they didn’t have to do this manufacturing cost go down and profits go up. It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Cheers George.

" It’s in PS Audio’s interest not to have quality CD mechanisms in their products, as they are the only whole expensive mechanical parts they have to purchase and integrated into a cd player. If they didn’t have to do this manufacturing cost go down and profits go up. It’s all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$."

I take it you never ran a business. Is it possible PS Audio's customers buy their products because they use good parts, not cheap ones? Otherwise, they can just go to Best Buy. As for the extra cost, If its more costly to make a CD player over just a DAC, it will be reflected in their prices, same as any other company.

I have ripped more than 4500 CDs to my NAS.  The ripper provides data, such as errors encountered in the ripping process.  Not one of the CDs had an error.  Some of the CDs date from back at the beginning of CD production. 

I believe that the concern raised about CDs came from the experience with laser discs, something that predates the CD.  Laser disc were subject to deterioration when air managed to get between layers of its sandwich construction causing the metalized reflective layer to oxidize.  I have seen this "laser rot" on laser discs.  But, CDs are made differently and are not as prone to problems with oxidation. 

As to the extremely long run, who knows?  Will the polycarbonate plastic in CDs begin to cloud or become fragile?  I don't have to worry because my CDs are ripped and then put on shelves as backup or for their cover art, booklet information, etc.