Speakers for electronic/hiphop/rnb [$4000 range]?

Hello everybody,

Let me start off by saying I don’t know much about hifi. I’m trying to educate myself by visiting forums like these and I’m learning some things but most information goes over my head. And most of you listen to classical/rock/jazz so it’s hard to find an opinion that is relevant to me without asking. I currently have a set of Kef ls50’s that I blind bought because of amazing reviews paired with an arcam a19 integrated amplifier and it’s basically the best purchase I’ve ever made. It’s made me appreciate music in a different way and now I would like to upgrade to a new setup in a designated music room with new speakers and new components. The room will be 12x17.

A store near me sells Harbeth speakers but I think I read bass is lacking in these but I may still try to audition them, I’m not really sure what else is well regarded in my price range..
torontoelectro
I have a tricked out pair of Klipsch Forte Is and love them: they reach down to 32-35hz depending on room placement, and the titanium tweeter and midrange diaphragms make for razor-sharp definition and a great soundstage.  They are horn speakers, which some people consider to be "shouty" and they are very forward: music has a definite live feel.  I have not heard them yet but I have heard nothing but good things about the new Forte IIIs and they are $3600-4400 a pair depending on the finish.  (They have a 15" passive radiator and woofer like the last model, the Forte II: my Forte Is have a 12" passive and woofer). And Klipsch makes extremely efficient speakers so you should have no problem with your amp.

I was just listening to an MP3 of a DJ Screw mixtape: earlier I was listening to a Godspeed You! Black Emperor FLAC that starts with a very low drone and it was suitably earth-shaking: if you wanted the Phat Bass you could do worse than Fortes.  (If you have the room you could look around for a pair of vintage Klipschorns as they will certainly give you lots of room for volume -- they do 104dB/1w, which is 10-16dB more efficient than most speakers on the market today.  But they require two corners with clear walls and are the size of refrigerators, so they may not be a match for your living situation).  

Ah... If you’re setting up a completely new system, that opens many possibilities. Greg basically covered all that’s important without throwing his opinion in, which is commendable. An option for you not yet mentioned would be floorstanding speakers with integrated powered woofers/subs. This will let you choose an amp without crazy power..

Like I said above, I listen to similar musical styles. The route I chose to go was class D monoblocks putting out 500w/channel into 4 ohm 3 way floorstanders that are reasonably flat to 30hz. My room is small enough I could have gone with less power and smaller speakers, but I like to immerse myself in the sound and feel the mids/bass but have enough power and control to hear clean highs over all of that..

Not trying to sway you my way, just giving you an example of what works. Before the monoblocks, I had a class D crown that was a beast and sounded great for just a few hundred bucks. It’s a good solution if you blow all your cash on badass, power hungry speakers, then realize your 80 w/channel integrated amp isn’t going to cut it. Ask me how I know... :-)
Todd speaks the truth- except this (no offense Todd):

"floorstanding speakers with integrated powered woofers/subs"

Unless you've got the scratch for Beolab 90's that is...

The guys that design drivers
The guys that design cabinets
The guys that design crossovers
etc.

You want each of them to be the best in their field right?

I would never want an audio component that was jointly designed by the best in their discipline and have to listen to them beat it out every day on my system.

Corporations - you can hear it

Greg

@kenazfilan

Thanks I will look into auditioning the new fortes at my local Klipsch dealer if they have pair just to see if I like the horn sound.

@todd & @greg

I was actually considering auditioning the Golden ear titron 1s which I believe have integrated woofers/subs.. I’ve read people saying good things about them, why exactly don’t you think it’s a good idea to get speakers with build in subs Greg?

Also Greg, I’m not really sure I understand what you were saying about there only being one right volume.. Do you mean they should sound good at any volume?

Oh and how about your thoughts on the Tekton double impacts everybody seems to be talking about? Would that be a good option for me?