Review: Jolida JD-302b Tube amp

Category: Amplifiers

I started looking for a low budget SS integrated amp (Creek, Cambridge, Arcam or the like) when I found out that a make like Jolida was available to try out tubes I decided to give it a try. I considered Antique Audio but Jolida provided more inputs (4 instead of 3) which is enough for a tuner, CD, cassette, and TV. While this limitation can be overcome with a switcher (i.e. Niles) this was a ‘cleaner’ solution.

After un packing the amp I was initially un-enthused and a bit disappointed. Granted I was just ‘building’ a system at that time and using an old pair of Infinity speakers and an old Sharp CD player. However very quickly I was amazed at the new amount of detail I heard in all of my music. I was pulling every old CD out of my collection to hear them ‘new’ for the first time. Mostly JAZZ and World Music (African).

The only sonic problem that I have encountered with this unit is some RF interference to my proximity to a local radio station. At very very low volume you can hear the radio system coming through the speakers. This is due to the fact that I live in a 30 story apartment building whose whole wiring system acts as one big antennae.

As time pasted I upgraded the surrounding components which has contributed to me liking the system only that much more.

On an entirely non-sonic note - the effect of the glowing vacuum tubes contributes to the ambiance of a listening space and serves to focus one more of the senses during a listening session. Not to mention inciting many a comment from non-audiophile guests.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System
keithcady

One of my Svetlana EL34 Winged C gave up (maybe during transport)? I've just ordered a "quad" matched pair of the: jj EL34. Hopefully should have them next and may be able to contribute to this "Jolida" thread.

Will post up when I have the jj's installed and bias'd. -Davis

P.S. I really do believe that this is: "the little amp that could"!

Post removed 
I have had a Jolida 302CRC since 2012 and one of the first things I did was replace all the stock Chinese tubes as so: Holland made DD getter EL34’s from the XF3/4/5 series made from 1957 to 1962 (so at least one of my output tubes is within three years of my own old age)! Replaced the 12AT7’s with Telefunken ECC801S and the 12AX7’s with NOS Tesla (not JJ) E83CC which is a frame grid tube like the Telefunken ECC803S. These 8 tubes averaged a little over one hundred dollars each but are light years better than the tubes the unit came with. Also replaced the stock power cord with Shunyata power cord. I am quite happy with this integrated amp.