Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
Hi jafant,
 Yes.  I sent the SCD-1 to Music Technology in Virginia for diagnosis and repair several weeks ago.  Still waiting to hear back.

Thanks for asking.  Will update this post when I know more.

Been there and done that. Well, actually didn't do it. I had an old Sony SCD608ES, from the late 80's. Wow what a great sounding player! I kept it for 25 years! And it got to where it would not read discs. So, I contemplated having it repaired! I shopped around for parts, I found a laser assembly online for $800! Since they are so rare now. And little parts like the toothed sprockets and strange parts that operate the drawer. (Most likely the gears are stripped on your drawer, not the motor.) but just the parts were far more than I ever wanted to put into the darn thing. I could spend $800 on a Marantz player and have a nicer unit! So, the unit got trashed. I hated to see it go after such a long and healthy relationship, but once I got a new modern player, (Cary 306) I never missed it. 
Nice! alpha_gt

I like the Cary 306 as well. There are some that have problems w/ the Cary spinners, hopefully, the company will continue to offer parts/service for their cd/sacd players.