Yamaha GT 2000 Turntable

Hello there ! Looking for any Yamaha GT 2000 owners / ex owners out there to share their experience and opinions regarding this turntable ..
blz_tone
Thanks for the info. I heard a GT2000 at Disk Union in Tokyo last fall and have lusted after it ever since.

Now, next question: what's the best reasonably priced cartridge (<$1000) to use with it?
"Now, next question: what's the best reasonably priced cartridge (<$1000) to use with it?"

Wow, now you've REALLY started a discussion! I suggest you read Raul's legendary thread --

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/who-needs-a-mm-cartridge-type-when-we-have-mc

It may be the longest thread in internet history, and incredibly informative.

You'll probably get suggestions from lots of people. In many cases it'll just be "I have THIS cartridge and I love it so it must be the best." So stick to ideas from people who've owned the GT2000 -- they'll know about the cartridge/headshell/tonearm matching issues, which are crucial.

Good luck on your quest...
Lewm, I didn't know you also have the DP80. Have you recapped it, or done other maintenance or updates? Mine is still stock, and I haven't used it in four years. I'm hesitant about using it — I once killed a nice Sansui DD just by switching it on. After four years of idleness, I would use a Variac to coax the Denon gently back into action, but I'm also concerned long-term. There are so many stories online about a failing cap destroying one of those irreplaceable chips, and thus destroying the turntable. You are more experienced than I, and I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer. Thanks.

bimasta
I would use a Variac to coax the Denon gently back into action, 
I would use caution prior to using a Variac, some circuits react poorly.
that said I'm not a teck.

"Now, next question: what's the best reasonably priced cartridge (<$1000) to use with it?"

I believe you may have read the tread on another forum regarding the metal rods that are present running down its length and were 
removed by the owner to accommodate a less restrictive cartridge
selection?

Personally the only thing regarding the GT-2000 that is an "iffy" factor
for me is the limitation of optional arms that can be mounted
without some surgery. 

Bimasta,

I'd state that the stories you have "heard" are vastly exaggerated, I have had over 50 of various DP series coming through here over the past few years and have never had one with a "chip" out.  Once recapped they perform excellent. 

Im working on a "GrooveMaster Vintage Direct Professional" issue of the DP80, with some of the features of my Current rebuild of the Denon DN308 (4 pieces) All spoken for already :-)

http://pbnaudio.com/audio-components/audio-turntables/groovemaster/groovemaster-vintage-direct/pbn-d...

It involve of course scrapping the pot metal frame they are mounted on replacing it with 1" machined aluminum top plate and bottom plate sandwiching a hardwood frame.  The Variable/Fixed speed selection will be eliminated along with the strobe light, which will be replaced with the Roadrunner tachometer form Phoenix Engineering, I picked up quite a few of these when they closed shop.

Stay tuned on updates   

Good Listening

Peter