Yamaha GT 2000 Turntable

Hello there ! Looking for any Yamaha GT 2000 owners / ex owners out there to share their experience and opinions regarding this turntable ..
blz_tone
Agree with Bimasta. I also own a 100VAC Denon DP80 and use a stepdown.  If anything, the step down transformer affords a form of isolation from your household AC contamination.  You can buy a very capable unit for well under $100 off eBay.  I actually own two of them.

Pani, Based on having owned an SP10 Mk2 and what I know about the GT2000, I would choose the latter.  This is not a night and day difference, and it is not meant to slur the Mk2, which is a fine turntable.  However, I like the "bi-directional" servo mechanism (I think it may be similar to the circuit used in the Victor TT101), the over-size platter, and the coreless motor of the GT2000 vs the Mk2.  This is just my opinion.
Thanks for the info. I heard a GT2000 at Disk Union in Tokyo last fall and have lusted after it ever since.

Now, next question: what's the best reasonably priced cartridge (<$1000) to use with it?
"Now, next question: what's the best reasonably priced cartridge (<$1000) to use with it?"

Wow, now you've REALLY started a discussion! I suggest you read Raul's legendary thread --

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/who-needs-a-mm-cartridge-type-when-we-have-mc

It may be the longest thread in internet history, and incredibly informative.

You'll probably get suggestions from lots of people. In many cases it'll just be "I have THIS cartridge and I love it so it must be the best." So stick to ideas from people who've owned the GT2000 -- they'll know about the cartridge/headshell/tonearm matching issues, which are crucial.

Good luck on your quest...
Lewm, I didn't know you also have the DP80. Have you recapped it, or done other maintenance or updates? Mine is still stock, and I haven't used it in four years. I'm hesitant about using it — I once killed a nice Sansui DD just by switching it on. After four years of idleness, I would use a Variac to coax the Denon gently back into action, but I'm also concerned long-term. There are so many stories online about a failing cap destroying one of those irreplaceable chips, and thus destroying the turntable. You are more experienced than I, and I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer. Thanks.

bimasta
I would use a Variac to coax the Denon gently back into action, 
I would use caution prior to using a Variac, some circuits react poorly.
that said I'm not a teck.

"Now, next question: what's the best reasonably priced cartridge (<$1000) to use with it?"

I believe you may have read the tread on another forum regarding the metal rods that are present running down its length and were 
removed by the owner to accommodate a less restrictive cartridge
selection?

Personally the only thing regarding the GT-2000 that is an "iffy" factor
for me is the limitation of optional arms that can be mounted
without some surgery.