12au7 or 12ax7

I recently purchased my first tube amp a Primaluna Prolouge 5, the previous owner said the tubes were at the end of their life. I replaced the factory KT-88's with Tung-Sol KT-120' with which I am very pleased. My questions is which would give me the biggest sonic benefit replacing the 12au7 or the 12ax7? Both will be replaced in time which do you think I should do first?
lardawg
The sockets came with my relatively inexpensive Jolida 502p so maybe they’re NOT gold plated…but if they are I now wonder if I should replace them…hmmm….soldering is what the young girl wants…also I have to wonder what "many tube changes" means as I don't mess with 'em THAT much...
would agree with atmasphere. That first tube (12ax7) will likely have the largest impact on sonics.
Another option is the 12at7 which will lower gain a bit. but to keep everything in balance, you should change out the 100k plate resistor for a 33k, and the 1k cathode resistor for about 500 ohm resistor. This will allow the plate voltage to come back up to speck for the at7.

You can try the at7 without doing anything, but the plate voltage will drop all the way down to 50-60 volts or so, without the resistor change.

On any of the PL amps, upgrading the coupling caps, helps tremendously.

best