Van Alstine Trans 10RB vs. Freya Schiit. Which do you prefer and why??

Looks like they're in the same league, pricewise. But how about soundwise? Anyone have any experience with these two head to head or on their own?

Thanks.

SD

shtinkydog
Ghosthouse, I looked at the thread on  head-fi but I find it is not interesting at all because it is all about tubes tubes and more tubes. Tubes was interesting after the early release of the the transistor that at that stage was inferior to tubes.But now is 2016 guys, not 1976! Why don't they change over resistors, capacitors or other electronic parts? Easy because they can't and that's why all the talk is about changing tubes. Where the passive and JFET options is far more superior sound wise to the tube stage. The longer I play it, the more I prefer passive, as this is most neutral in sound. I prefer "the closest approach to the original sound". And with my Quad ESL 63 full range planars that is passive.
That's your call, wout.  You are not a "tube-o-phile", I take it.  Don't think I am either...at least not to any exclusive extent.  Consider ways to elevate and advance that discussion beyond the fixation on tubes.  Provide further input similar to what you already left there ( I did read it).  I entered the Freya buying process actually disinclined to go with a tube-based pre.  Bought Freya despite the tube mode.   After a couple of weeks now, I am finding the Freya's tube mode preferable when listening to vinyl but use JFET buffered for digital.  Passive is NOT far behind to my ear...perhaps a little less "heft" compared to JFET though I'm not certain I could identify either in blind listening.  Different strokes for different folks, as "they" say.  Hope you are enjoying music even more with the Freya in your system.  
Can any of you Freya owners compare this somewhat budget priced preamp to $3000 models from 20 years ago?  I'm thinking Krell KRC-3 (my current pre) or AI Modulus 3A in particular.  Main source is Ayre C5xe mp running in balanced mode. Through the Krell, i'm getting sufficient volume at only 8 or 9 o'clock and i'd like more range out of the volume control. Therefore the Schiit's passive stage appeals to me.  How do you think the J-fet section of the Freya compares to the Krell?  If it would be a lateral move I might go for it but I don't want to step down.   Fwiw, I particularly like the firmware based stepped volume control on the KRC-3 as there is no mechanical contact, is noise free, and in theory should last the life of the unit. Thanks.