How much gain is needed in a Phono Preamp for a 0.2 to 0.3mv low output moving coil?

I have been out of audio for 25 years and am now getting back into getting a system. I have looked at Manley Chinook, Ear 834p, and Audio research 5, 6, 7 Phono preamps, after reading thru many or post on Audiogon. All have about 57db gain to 60 bd gain. I have been looking at getting either a Dynavector 10x5, Benz micro Silver, Ortofon Quintet Black, or a used Benz Ruby Z (if I can find the money). Is 57db enough gain for the cartridges. I would also welcome feedback on the Phono Preamp. I am leaning toward the ARC PH7 or Manley. Either would be around the same price. I would prefer to stay with tubes. The turntable is a VPI Prime. Any help or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
128x128juke4u

"I like everything I read about the Benz (lowest $1800) and after reading about the Transfiguration cartridges (lowest $2450) I was very impressed. That being said, I am very concerned that with the VPI Prime I may be spending more on a cartridge than I should considering my TT. Please honest opinions, you will not hurt my feelings.Opinions help you learn."

Reading and listening are 2 completely different things. Carts that you read about will probably sound different in your system (how much can vary).

Synergy is much more important than price.

Your TT is fine. I wouldn't make plans to upgrade before you listen to it.

Keep it simple. A LOMC is fine. Match it to a phono pre that can handle the output and don't worry about an SUT. Also, at this level, I wouldn't fool with tubes either.

Personally I would avoid the Transfiguration/VPI combo. I tried both a Temper Supreme and and Spirit III on my Classic and still got some IGD on hotter records. Tried all manner of alignments and protractors and eventually sold both carts. It was particularly hard to do because they sound so damn good most of the time.

I have an AT ART9 now and that is what I would recommend you start with. Will sound great with most any standard (60db) MC preamp gain.
Not all cartridges work well on a unipivot arm. I would research what owners of VPI's unipivot arm have had best success with. As suggested above, the ART9 is getting great buzz across the board so that would be a Prime candidate, pun intended. ;^)

Dave
I try hard to make a good decision, so I don't have to go thru a bucket of cash trying to get things correct. That is why I started this post. I read reviews just to get a feel for the products but hearing from everybody on Audiogon that have the same interest, means a lot. Sincerely thank you all.  I know the end result is my system and my ears. I have been told by many that synergy is important. Partly the reason I went with the ARC amp and preamp knowing they would mate well and when I want to upgrade they seem to have a good following. I had checked out the AT Art 9 in the last post I did regarding pre and power. I think they were the first to use a nude Shibata tip many moons ago. It seems they have come a long way. I checked the web for an Art 9 and they are no longer made. I saw the Art 1000 and figured it was the replacement for Art 9, but I quickly realized I was completely wrong.
Please keep the comments coming. As you can see I need help but i am getting there.