Playstation 3 Blue Ray quality - How good is it ?

Can it compare to Sony top quality Blue Ray Player in term of sound/picture quality?

Thanks....
edle
My 14 year old nephew has a PS3 (he can afford one, I can't) and I've seen 4 or 5 BDs on my brother's 47" 720p LCD with the PS3. It seemed to me that the picture could only be improved with a 1080p TV.

But, even if I had the money now to buy a PS3 or a stand alone BDP, I would wait a year. If history is any lesson, the BDPs will get even better and the prices will come down.

Mike19
"Doesn't the PS3 downgrade to 480p if not used with a 1080p set?"

Nope. The PS3 can output both 1080i and 720P as well.
I have a LCD-driven 55" rear-projection HDTV by Hitachi, which accepts 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Its native mode is 720p, but somehow, the picture is just a *little* bit better when I feed it 1080i signal. We just got a PS3 yesterday, and when we set it up for 1080i output, it looked really good and I have no complaints. It certainly didn't demonstrate any slowness or softening compared to my Toshiba HD-D2 HD DVD player. I consider them pretty much equal in picture quality; eventually with the downloadable upgrades, the PS3 may surpass it. On the other hand, my 720p TV may have trouble revealing the difference.

Anyway, at $399 for an 80MB PS3 and having added Blu-ray to my Netflix profile, I'm very satisfied.
I was under the impression that the PS# did not do Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD.