Van Alstine Trans 10RB vs. Freya Schiit. Which do you prefer and why??

Looks like they're in the same league, pricewise. But how about soundwise? Anyone have any experience with these two head to head or on their own?

Thanks.

SD

shtinkydog
shtinkydog - 
Late arriving thoughts.  Wanted to comment about a couple of things.  Volume control does "click" as you change levels.  The sound is inherent to the stepped attenuator design.  Heard the same thing with a CJ Premier preamp.  The other item was about the remote.  It's a little plastic thing.  Doesn't look like much but "works a treat" for mute, volume, input and output.  Personally, if the design budget target is tight, I'd rather pay for essential components and not a massive metal remote that can double as a paper weight or door stop.  Anyway, just thought I'd mention a couple of things that some might find less than optimal.   

After reading this thread and looking up the candidates, it's easy to see why Schiit products are appealing.  What I find missing though is any discussion or comparison of sound quality and character.  In my book  sound quality matters and takes precedent.

One  post remarked that the Freya was not good because it did not have the headphone section (???) that a few other Schiit models have.  It is unclear what he/she meant.  Aren't those small openings in the faceplate for phones? 

The opening in the front panel on Freya is the receiver for the remote, not phones plug.
To compare you have to have both units present. That's very often a problem. So I can't make any quality sound character statement.
My compare was just on features. And YES I do like the Schiit products and even more their filosify about ridiculous HiFi pricing not related to the sound quality but only to bling bling. I love these guys and the products I own. That's why I ordered my Freya blind and recommend the brand.
Mechans - the OP’s inquiry did allow for observations about the individual preamps (i.e., "on their own"). Not owning a Van Alstine, I was only able to provide comparison to a 6H30-based preamp that I had found very satisfactory sound-wise.  

wout31 has explained the single opening at the right end of the face of the Freya. I’ll add that along with 3 push buttons for mute, output and input selection and the volume knob, there are 9 LEDs: 1 for mute, 2 for output mode (JFET buffer mode or tube mode; none lit = passive mode), 5 for input selection (2 balanced; 3 SE), and a final LED to indicate remote control of volume. When this last is lit, the volume control knob is disabled.

wout - I hope you will be as pleased as I am with the Freya. Will be interested in hearing your thoughts about it.
News is there, my Freya will be in beginning of next week. :-) :-)

I will be testing with:
Qobuz (like Tidal) music player 16 bit 44.1 kHz files on my PC and Musicbee player for HiRes audio files
RME AIO soundcard Transformer separated SP-DIF out to
Schiit Gungnir MB DAC balanced out to
New Schiit Freya balanced out to
Quad 520f amplifier out to
Quad ESL 63 (definitely NO sub)
Nothing special in cables, just standard to standard+ audio cables.

I will be playing song like:
Norah Jones (difficult voice to reproduce well, especially multi tracks)
- Turn me on
- I’ve got to see you again
- How many times have you broken my heart
Lisa Simone - Child in me (even more difficult voice)
Stacey Kent (the most difficult voice)
- The boy next door
- I wish I we’re in love again.
Diana Krall many different tracks from different albums
Secaria Evora - Sodade
Curtis Stigers
Dean Martin
Frank Sinatra
Kovacs - 50 shades of black
Oscar Peterson trio - You look good to me
and many many more.