Recommendations for used CD player

I'm looking to improve my sound by adding a CD player to my system.  I'm currently now just using a Yamaha DVD player along with a Yamaha Aventage home theater receiver (which uses ESS Technology ES9006 SABRE DACs).  I use the receiver as a pre/pro with a Threshold S500/II amp and B&W 802 Series 2 speakers.

Right now I really like my sound and I've read these DACs are fairly high quality, but wasn't sure if I could get improved sound by adding a used, higher end CD player and possibly outboard DAC.

No SACD needed, my budget is about $400-500.

Thanks.

dastro
I agree that an external DAC would be the way to go. Use the DVD player as transport. There is a SCHiit Bitfrost w/uber analog upgrade for sale here on AG, $290 I believe. Since you don't require USB input, you could search for an older very high quality DAC which could be purchased for a fraction of the original cost. 
The Schiit Uber is up for bid at $290, but would be an excellent  DAC to suit your needs.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/03/schiit-audio-bifrost-uber-w-gen-2-usb-dac-review/

Or one of the Schiit Bifrost models for a great price new, with return policy...
http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input and advice.  I just realized my Yamaha blu-ray player only has HDMI out, so I'll buy a CD player/transport and an external DAC. 

For the DAC, I'm leaning towards the PS Audio Digital Link III that is for sale here for $299.00.  It gets great reviews and I like the price point.  I can also use it for my itunes library remotely located in a PC but wired to the system.

I am receiving a pair of B&W 801 Series 2 speakers today and am very excited.  Although they probably won't offer too many differences than my 802 Series 2, it has motivated me to consider source upgrades.

I love music and high quality audio, but am and always have been on a very limited budget.  I am buying equipment that I lusted for back in high school and college.  My dream amp was always a  big Threshold- last year I purchased a mint S500/II and it changed everything.

I know my listening environment's room size, low ceiling height , and wall to wall carpeting limits how good the sound can get, but I will try some modest upgrades.

I once owned the DL III. Good DAC for the money. However the USB input was not asynchronous. I used it with a USB/SPDIF converter. I sold it because I needed 2 coax inputs as I also wanted to include a transport.

Cambridge Audio makes a transport that seems highly regarded here on AG and retails for $500. Though I use a computer as a server most often, I am considering the purchase of one myself as I sometimes like to spin a disk. The idea of a dedicated transport, as opposed to a player, appeals to me.

I should add that I also got back into audio, putting together a new system once retired.