Recommendations for used CD player

I'm looking to improve my sound by adding a CD player to my system.  I'm currently now just using a Yamaha DVD player along with a Yamaha Aventage home theater receiver (which uses ESS Technology ES9006 SABRE DACs).  I use the receiver as a pre/pro with a Threshold S500/II amp and B&W 802 Series 2 speakers.

Right now I really like my sound and I've read these DACs are fairly high quality, but wasn't sure if I could get improved sound by adding a used, higher end CD player and possibly outboard DAC.

No SACD needed, my budget is about $400-500.

Thanks.

dastro
Many quality spinners available: we all know that the source sets the outcome: garbage in means garbage out.

I would look for a quality build established brand used unit first ....

REGA, NAIM, BRYSTON, CYRUS, ROKSAN, PRIMARE, DENSEN, or YBA would lead my list, with the express and distinct understanding that they ALL have their own bespoke sonic signature that may or may not mesh to your taste with the rest of your gear.

the first 3 brands arguably have both a larger brand awareness and a larger distribution channel in the US continental 48 only, (not an issue in Canada or EU or Orient....) that may influence you for arguably accelerating a quicker continental 48 resale if there is an eventual change in the offing.
Are you using the DAC within the receiver or going analog out from the DVD player?