Phoenix Engineering Falcon and Eagle

Read a one-liner in a different forum related to Phoenix operations.  Tried to access their website without success. 

Are they still around?
bpoletti
 Slaw, I think the only issue would revolve around Phoenix's willingness or lack thereof to service products still in warranty.  To back out of that pledge could be said to be "unethical"; I would say it's more in the area of "unprincipled".  Some others would say there's no difference between the two.  Since rumor has it that the designer did not really retire, he only bowed out of the commercial audio business, he may still be in a position to honor any warranty on any of his products, so long as the warranty lasts.  Do you or does anyone else have information to suggest that Phoenix will not take care of units in the field?

On another note, I once owned a Notts Hyperspace that benefitted hugely from powering it via a Walker Audio Precision Motor Controller.  The difference with vs without was rather astounding to me.  Furthermore, selecting correct electrical phase, using the switch on the Walker, was an important link in achieving max benefits. Thus I don't doubt for a moment that any good motor controller would help the feeble Notts motor.  (Notts make their own power supply, as well.) This is not to dump on the Notts; the feebleness of the motor is a deliberate part of their design philosophy: massive platter/weak motor.  Walker uses the same strategy with their Proscenium.

BPoletti, I am a bit confused by your last post.  Do you mean to say that a variac or similar device that merely reduces AC voltage going to the motor would do as well as one of these power source/controllers, like the Eagle, etc?  Just wondering; I probably misunderstood you.
slaw -

You must absolutely hate many of the electronics manufacturers.  Many put out products only to offer costly upgrades and improved products in a truncated product life-cycle.  Frustrating.  But technology along with R&D drive the improvements.  Improve and keep up with or get ahead of the competition, or go out of business.   

I have three VPI tables ranging from 20 to over 30 years old and they are still supported.  I only use the youngest of the three. 

I have said nothing negative about PE.  I just asked about their business operating status and what was going to happen with warranty coverage on their products. 

As far as the use of a variac, it seems to address what I consider the biggest issue with synchronous motors for belt drive tables.  That nasty pulse noise that gets transmitted through the belts to the platter.  Reducing the voltage to the motor after start-up decreases the magnitude of the pulses.  On my table, that results in a lower noise floor, blacker background, improved soundstage, tighter imaging and cleaner presentation.  Not subtle differences.  Is this as good as a servo speed- controlled DC motor?  I don't know.   

I have found through experimentation that after a full voltage start, the platter speed remains audibly stable at voltages far below the VPI motor voltage default (IIRC, 87v).  I run the table at around 70v without audible speed variation. 

This is my opinion related to the operation of my current turntable, an original VPI Aries Extended.  YMMV, your opinion may differ. 

This will probably start the endless debate about platter speed.  IMO, that should probably continue in one of the threads that already exist related to that topic.
"Roadrunner was $234, now $400
Falcon was $379, now $500."

These current prices are via ebay.  The same seller on Amazon is charging $300 for the Roadrunner.  The Falcon is unavailable there.
bpoletti,

"put out products in a truncated life cycle"

What does this mean? What does this mean to decades old customers who have no prior knowledge of products in the "pipeline"? ( Except for (brf).....)... well excuse me!

Does this "life cycle" mean within several months? Does this "life cycle" mean that their chief "senior" poster, (brf,) feels the need to "buffer" what is obviously known to him, (not to the public), by "buffer", I mean to "gently" put out the info regarding new products before their long time VPI owners will have any minute form of a specific of prior knowledge? Why doesn't VPI inform their loyal (registered) customers through email? Why is that so difficult?

How does this improve their loyal customer base?

(I'm focused on VPI, not other manufactures that I have no knowledge of)

Your response makes me want to scream.

Instead, I'll go listen to music,

Happy Listening!