Your choice of the most "inert" cabinets ?

I think the Rockport Lyra unique cabinet design "trumps" them.
ptss
If I had money for that kind of measuring equipment, I'd just buy Rockports, Magicos, or the like. I use my own measuring tools, and that of friends that can afford those ultra-high-end speakers, our ears, who agree with me regarding the quality of music reproduction provided by my custom built speakers.

I am not criticizing owners of very high-end speaker brands, I'm happy for them, and I'd be tempted to purchase such quality transducers, were I able to do so. All I know for sure though, is I am able to listen for many hours daily with no listening fatigue, and nothing but enjoyment. That's all that matters.

Regards,
Dan

ebm3,743 posts01-14-2017 5:37amTry Magico Q3,M3,S5 very inert plus they sound great not cheap though.
+ 1. JA just reviewed the S5 Mk2's and had to place a stethoscope up to the cabinet to detect any cabinet 'excitement', and even then it was barely audible. The 1/2" thick curved aluminium cabinet and top plate are very effective at breaking up internal standing waves.
Von Schweikert cabinets in their new lines are so silent and non-reactive you can see the precision of drum strikes with no blurring on an occiliscope
I will make a bet that your own measuring tools are not your ears but your eyes.

Maybe the speakers are just as good or better, but only testing will show why.  i.e. it may not be the cabinet

No cabinet is the best cabinet. But that's only one reason why I prefer planars---ESL's, magnetic-planars, ribbons. All but one pair of speaker "cabinets" I do have are actually open baffle frames; the fact that they aren't sealed and are heavily braced reduces the ability of the walls to resonate.

The one pair of sealed cabinets I do have contain subwoofer drivers. I made the enclosure as a box-within-a-box, with a 1/2 space between the two, the cavity filled with no.60 Silica sand. The interior box is cross-braced every 5", and that plus the damping sand results in very "quiet" enclosures.